Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Enneagram-which are you?

Ask, explore, query, share
ooby

Enneagram-which are you?

Postby ooby » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:10 pm

You are most likely a type 6.

Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 6w5.

My top 2 wings were

Wing 6w5 - 16.2
Wing 5w6 - 15.4

Therefore 6 and 5 are most prominent.

Enneagram Type 6 - The Loyalist

Conflicted between trust and distrust

Enneagram type 6 - The Loyalist People of this personality type essentially feel insecure, as though there is nothing quite steady enough to hold onto. At the core of the type Six personality is a kind of fear or anxiety. This anxiety has a very deep source and can manifest in a variety of different styles, making Sixes somewhat difficult to describe and to type. What all Sixes have in common however, is the fear rooted at the center of their personality, which manifests in worrying, and restless imaginings of everything that might go wrong.

Enneagram Type 5 - The Investigator

Thinkers who tend to withdraw and observe

Enneagram type 5 - The InvestigatorPeople of this personality type essentially fear that they don't have enough inner strength to face life, so they tend to withdraw, to retreat into the safety and security of the mind where they can mentally prepare for their emergence into the world. Fives feel comfortable and at home in the realm of thought. They are generally intelligent, well read and thoughtful and they frequently become experts in the areas that capture their interest. While they are sometimes scientifically oriented, especially with the Six wing, just as many Fives are drawn to the humanities and it is not at all uncommon for Fives to have artistic inclinations. Fives are often a bit eccentric; they feel little need to alter their beliefs to accommodate majority opinion, and they refuse to compromise their freedom to think just as they please.

https://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php

6w5 - Seeking Security and Knowledge

LifeExplore

Sixes with a 5 wing are generally introverted and somewhat intellectual. When healthy, they often have many realms of interest as well as surprising competencies and skills. May have an original and idiosyncratic point of view. Can be bookish; some are interested in history or feel rooted in the past or related to a long tradition. Also good at predicting the future. May test potential friends for a long time but once you're in, you're in - a friend for life. When more entranced, they may project a willed remoteness. Have a "tip of the iceberg" quality - they show little but you sense hidden dimensions, intensity and activity. Tension between needing to be seen and withdrawing for protection. Might act arrogant or cryptic or cynical when afraid. When phobic, can be diplomatic and say things without saying them. Entranced counterphobics are either cool and loners or argumentative, tending towards violence. Can brood over injustices to them, entertain conspiracy theories, spend time alone building cases. Paranoia in private. May like secretive behind-the-scenes group activity. Sneaky vengeance, passive/aggressive toward others, self-attacking and self-destructive at home.

http://theenneagram.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/type-6.html

5w6 - Seeking Knowledge and Security

LifeExplore

The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

http://theenneagram.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/type-5.html

I have a diagnosis of paranoid personality disorder but also could fit avoidant and schizotypal(traits).

I tend to disagree with the paranoid PD label. Mainly because diagnostic criteria and various articles emphasise the argumentative/contentious nature and overlook the fact some of us are fearful and rather timid paranoiacs .
I think if the diagnosis better covered people like me I could accept it more.

mihaela

Re: Enneagram-which are you?

Postby mihaela » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:55 pm

It didn't like me. It said it couldn't give me any number! :cry:

Many cluster A PD traits (the 'eccentric' or 'odd' cluster) are all found in autism, and to someone not trained to diagnose autism, there's a good chance they'll assume you have one of these. Anyone who suspects they're on the autism spectrum needs be very wary of any PD diagnosis, for it's likely to be wrong.

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:58 pm

I personally believe that ASD and what gets labelled as personality disorder can co exist.
Of course there is a whole argument to be had as to whether the personality disorder concept is the best way to categorise people with the different sets of symptoms that get labelled as the various PDs.
However most people with ASD will not have personality disorders and vice versa.

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 am

I agree completely. There's a growing tendency to lump all PDs together, and simply diagnose someone with 'personality disorder'. This is going too far altogether, for people who are 'eccentric', dangerous and fearful are very different to one another, and the distinction is important, however, I do see problems with 'compartmentalised' labels. Proposals for the ICD-11 would scrap all the named PDs and replace them with a mild-to-severe scale based upon the level of dysfunction.

At present BPD seems the odd one out to me, and should be looked at more closely - it shouldn't come under cluster B, for it's quite distinct from the other nine main ones. Autism too comes in many shades that are often not recognised, and the overlap with both 'eccentric/odd' and fearful PD clusters is necessarily strong - but usually these traits are due to the autism, not to a separate PD. Everything must been seen in the light of the underlying autism because it's rooted in neurological differences present before birth, while PD's are not. A more holistic approach to mental health is needed, where individual strengths and weaknesses are addressed, rather than just pinning labels on us.

Return to “Information Exchange”