Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How to fix your skateboard trucks

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
christellehahn

Postby christellehahn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 am

Even though you can be deeply into skateboarding for a long period, your board you are using to skate right now may not support your want. It is not surprising that skateboards will show signs of wear out after just several months, thanks to all those professional hops and long riding sessions. Both types of builds are susceptible to damaged decks, defective bearings, and bent truck pieces.

The most convenient solution is bring your skateboard which is in bad condition to skateboarding stores which offer reparation service. The key to opt for this solution is money. If you do not mind spending money for this kind of service, you can totally choose it.

On the other hand, if you are a type of person who has a tendency of preferring saving than paying, this post from SkateAdvisors is for you. We would like to offer you steps to repair your top skateboard trucks.

Detailed guidance

First of all, you need to keep an eye on the skateboard deck. The deck is, without a doubt, the part of the skateboard that is most likely to sustain harm early on. If your board is chipped, scratched, delaminated, or twisted, there is a remedy for each problem. Here are some options:

A deck with degraded appearance, although uncommon, may be problematic. Remove the truck and wheels to straighten it and regain its balance. To make the deck pliable, soak it in lukewarm water overnight. After that, take the deck outside, lay it down, and weigh it down for at least 24 hours with a heavy.

The glue that holds these layers together will weaken over time, leaving the board thinner and more brittle. You can do this by using a meat syringe or other flat instrument to fill in the gaps between the delaminated layers with a special glue. Be sure it's spread equally and don't overpack it.

Step two is repairing the skateboard trucks. The first thing to do is remove the kingpin nut before cutting the washers, bushing and truck hanger. Next, examine the truck for signs of excessive wear and tear. Rotate the bushings halfway to uniformly spread the wear. Depending on the frequency you use the trucks, you may want to do this once a month.

If your pivot cups are squeaky, a little bar soap can help lubricate the rubber and eliminate the irritating vibration. Damaged or broken components, such as kingpins, can be replaced with new ones; professional step-by-step video guides are available.

The final step is keeping an eye on both skateboard bearings and trucks. Without bearings, you're unable to go too far. Aside from stopping skating in the mud, puddles, and washing your bearings on a daily basis, there are a few easy things you can do to extend the life of your bearings and ensure a smooth ride.

Although skateboards are normally built to be tough and durable, you're bound to run into problems at some stage, particularly if you're a heavy rider. Fortunately, with the correct equipment and methods, a delaminated deck, squeaky pivot cups, or paralyzed wheels can all be safely repaired.

To start this step,first of all, you had better separate the bearings from the wheels with caution. Then, you insert a screwdriver into each bearing's opening. To keep them soft and flexible, use a special lubricant all over. Finally, you replace them in their original positions and attach them to the original position.

Skateboard trucks you should try once

Down below are some top skateboard trucks that are popular to the community of skateboarders.

For skateboarders who are keen on street skating, Independent Stage 11 is worth your try. The Independent stage 11 is on the more expensive side of the spectrum. In contrast to their closest rivals, they are marginally more expensive.

If you cannot be sure about the reliability of Independent trucks, you can refer to the feedback from customers who bought this item. There are numerous good ratings. Almost every skater thinks they're a brand worth their salt, and the online ratings say it all.

These trucks can handle anything up to a 56mm wheel if the deck is in the 7.5”-8” range. When you pair that with a steel axle, you have a group of trucks that can react quickly when practicing techniques. However, the steel axle is subjected to a great deal of violence when you grind.

Second, you can go for Venture Superlite Low for your first time trying playing skateboards. With a weight of about 2 pounds, you'll have no trouble doing tricks, but they'll still feel stable. That's why they're such a good all-arounder for beginners.

Besides those top skateboard trucks, there are various skateboarding brands for you to try once, such as Krux, Fury, Thunder, Phantom and more.

SkateAdvisors is one of my favourite skateboarding websites since there are abundant posts related to skateboarding.

Follow SkateAdvisors on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/skateadvisors/
Last edited by christellehahn on Thu May 06, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epitaph

Re: A tough time at the moment

Postby epitaph » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.

In the UK we are now into our 3rd lockdown and the people l meet seem to suggest that the 1st was the hardest, even though the weather was great it just went on and on ... in some ways l hope we learned how better to cope with the following lockdowns.

Suggestions for surival anyone ?
Mine would be daily long walks, stay healthy and as much socially distanced human interaction as one can possibly get ;)

lol76

Postby lol76 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:46 am

Hi...I think setting simple goals has helped me...like try and achieve a few things in the week like walking, tidying a cupboard, crafting, cooking a nice tea etc... Ive also 'tried' to allow myself to have lazy times if Ive needed them. Finally, connecting as much as possible, even just checking in on here helping me to see its not just me struggling. Whatsapp group chats with friends and meeting a friend for an outside walk. My advice is do what helps you get through safely x

epitaph

Postby epitaph » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Agree, there is no right or wrong just what seems to work for each of us with hopefully the addition of new ideas and thinks to try...

jonic

Postby jonic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:39 am

As well as daily walks I find putting on my headphones, playing some really loud music and dancing around my living room seems to do the trick!

Go to songs for mood booster?

epitaph

Postby epitaph » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:11 am

Agree, everyone should have access to great music via bluetooth headphones so useful to occupy and entertain ones mind. There is such great thought provoking music available for every mood and so much to enjoy ...

epitaph

Postby epitaph » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 am

Lockdown is causing all kinds of problems, surprise, surprise, especially mental health problems ;) If you have arrived here of course you know that already.

The following is taken from the book “Staying Alive” by Dr Phil Hammond.
The acronym CLANGERS pretty much has it all.
To stay well (or get better) without putting pressure on ourselves we should try and complete our CLANGERS each day or as much as we feel able to do... which some days might not be that much!

Connect... with the people around you, family, friends, community
Learn... Try something new, sign up for that course, fix something
(be) Active... Put your passion into activity, go for a walk or run
Notice... Be curious and fill up your senses, remark on the unusual
Give Back... Do something nice for a friend or stranger, smile
Eat Well... Connect with local food producers, learn to cook
Relax... To sleep well, housekeep your brain. Rest and reflect on your day
Sleep... Essential for physical and mental health

Take care...

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Welcome! Let me know if you need any help getting around the forum :)
RSxo <3

Return to “Mutual Support Group”