Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Thoughts for a new service?

Ask, explore, query, share
niamh90

Thoughts for a new service?

Postby niamh90 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi everyone :D
I am a newly appointed NHS Health Coach and am looking into creating a support group surrounding social isolation and loneliness and was hoping to get some feed back. In the area I work in there are a lot of mental health services but none tackling these issues. I am leaning towards an evening group but not sure what would be the preferred activity or focus. Is there anything that people want in a service or feel would be more attractive for potential clients? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Niamh
x

lol76

Re: Thoughts for a new service?

Postby lol76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 am

Hi

Theres a massive gap in services like this. Theres either the medical route where we go when desperate but not enough peer support in my opinion. Well done in trying to set up a service.

Personsally, I know id benefit from a support group thats a little like AA. Somewhere I could go, drop in when I need a little extra care and acceptance. Somewhere I could go where I can say Im not coping and Id be welcomed and allowed to openly admit how I really feel. Mixing with orhers who understand, dont judge, somewhere for like minded sufferers to connect. Group chats' maybe charity projects to bring people together and feel useful. Maybe a crafty corner, sporty area, just somekind of informal support group.

Good luck

niamh90

Postby niamh90 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 am

Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply :)

Very useful to get your point of view. The group would need to be slightly structured in regards to attendees/times as we will also be as referral source for GPs and other health professionals. I will definitely take your feedback on board.

Thanks,
Niamh x

rocknrollgypsy

Postby rocknrollgypsy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:33 am

Frazzled Café used to provide that for me before the country turned into a police state. They're doing online Frazzled Cafés, but a) They don't let you talk about politics in Frazzled Café and at the moment, politics is what's getting me frazzled; b) My local Frazzled Café was a regular group of people who knew each other and used to play fast and loose with the rules anyway, which I wouldn't feel comfortable doing with randomly selected strangers.

niamh90

Postby niamh90 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:10 pm

@rollnrollgyspy I hadn't heard of Frazzled Cafés so thank you very much, seems to very similar to what I had in mind :D

lol76

Postby lol76 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks gonna check that out.

emloja

Postby emloja » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:16 pm

Perhaps your service could also target single parents. As a new single parent it can be very lonely as everything out there seems to be for parents. I joined an NCT group but it is difficult as quite a bit of the chat just serves to make me feel more different and isolated.

In general a buddy type system would be helpful, perhaps where you pair individuals with similar difficulties. So that there is a fundamental understanding of the difficulties they are both having. I have friends and am around people (well was pre Covid) but I don’t share about any MH difficulties I have as I would sound ridiculous. That’s why I think therapy has helped so much as I can fully be myself without fear of judgement And feel supported.
Not sure that is any help.
Good luck in your new role.

mazza77

Postby mazza77 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:58 pm

This is an excellent idea and an area which needs urgent support. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, depression, anxiety and agoraphobia. I have been referred to many places but it seems I don't fit the criteria for their kind of support. We need an online support platform for those of us who are feeling isolated, lonely and in need of emotional support.

Return to “Information Exchange”