Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

*Trigger warning* why ask for help???

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
square

*Trigger warning* why ask for help???

Postby square » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:29 pm

I contacted my psychiatrist to advise that I was having suicidal thoughts and planning. The conversation was very short (less than 5mins) as I have a lot of paranoia around using my phone, which the psychiatrist is aware of. Bearing in mind I have a history of overdoses and was admitted to the ICU at the end of last year, my psychiatrist's answer was fore to take 5mg of diazepam and then phone a helpline if I didn't feel any better! So phone a helpline and speak to someone I don't know, I don't know where they are or what their motives might be?! That's never going to work for someone with paranoid thoughts! So turns out there was no way o was going to manage the overdose I had planned due to the method....but I still feel the same as I did, it's just the plans that have changed. So there is no answer except to follow through with it. This is the longest I have gone without harming myself in some way for the past couple of years. So is it too much to ask for a bit of help?

goldfinch

Re: *Trigger warning* why ask for help???

Postby goldfinch » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi Square,
That sounds rough. I hope you are doing at least a little better at the moment.

You should absolutely be able to get help when you are feeling like that. From the title, it seems like you didn't feel supported by your therapist in that moment. The best thing to do would be to tell them that, and try to work with them to get the support you need.
Your crisis plan should help you feel safer so if talking to a helpline wouldn't help you, you should tell your therapist that so you can both come up with an alternative that would suit you more. Also, I don't know your specifics, but perhaps in an emergency talking to a trusted person would work as an alternative to the helpline.

ericph

Re: *Trigger warning* why ask for help???

Postby ericph » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:43 am

square wrote: This is the longest I have gone without harming myself in some way for the past couple of years.

That is amazing, and it says to me that you are far stronger than you give yourself credit for. You must have an amazing strength to fight all your demons every single day, you are stronger than a lot of people. You have a 100% success rate for getting through a lot of extremely bad days, you are still here today. A 100% success rate has to be good.

Life is a constant battle which we struggle and fight through every single day of our life. I believe that you have the power to keep fighting all battles with kindness, so you can be the kind and caring person you want to be. You don't have to believe me, you just have to believe in yourself. Somehow, you can find the strength that is already within you and to keep going.

Stay strong, just for today.

How many times do I have to stay strong?

The answer is always the same - just one more day - Today.

Return to “Safe Room”