Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Is creativity a skill, or a talent?

For poetry, art, writing, music - your own or others'
konarktriv7

Is creativity a skill, or a talent?

Postby konarktriv7 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:22 am

Answers from creatives would be greatly appreciated. How do you perceive creativity or a creative person? Do you think creativity is a skill that can be mastered with enough exposure, learning and experience, or do you think you have to have that genetic coding or natural inclination for anything remotely related to arts?

kitkatkate

Re: Is creativity a skill, or a talent?

Postby kitkatkate » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

I honestly don't know. I think it's a talent in people and those who choose to cultivate that talent can turn it into a skill.

I used to think I had the 'frame of mind' or a creative...someone who could think outside the box a bit and look at things in a slightly different way than the majority, but as time has gone by, I don't know, maybe it is in all of us? Maybe it's my lack of confidence that I know longer think I possess a gift?

I love painting, sculpting and working with all kinds of things, but one thing I never thought I was that good at was photography. I loved how people who were good at it could see something that everyone else just saw as everyday and then capture it's essence so everyone else could see it too. I was fascinated by that ability, but could never seem to pull that out of myself. So I stuck with what I knew. Who says if I hadn't have taken courses in it, I too could have grasped photography? I am not sure...

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 pm

I think it's both. There are lots of 'creatively talented' people in the world, that may never know of it due to lack of opportunity to showcase it. But even those who do, their earlier creative pieces won't be as good. Creativity as a concept is abstract, so it can either refer to the innate ability (talent), or the practice of it (skill).
RSxo <3

petersty

Postby petersty » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Creativity means thinking outside the box; thinking in ways that requires you believe in yourself enough to take a risk. It is not a skill; it is a mindset. Chris Bennett, CEO of Wonderschool: Yes, it is a skill. Like most things, I believe it can be learned and honed

georgegibson

Postby georgegibson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:10 am

Talent from my opinion.
Regards - GG

thecat99

Postby thecat99 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:16 am

This is a good question and I think challenges our assumptions. Everyone probably has a different take on this.

My take:

I’d say a skill is something someone can perform or utilise. Something that is above the norm and would be agreed on by others as a skill. A skill is something that takes practice and can be learnt by others.

I’d say a talent is an aptitude that is inherent in a person and is exhibited through a skill.. A talent can’t be easily taught or learnt.

I would say creativity is neither of those. It may take a certain talent or skill to exhibit your creativity but for me it is neither of those.

Everyone has creativity in them. Creativity comes in all forms, from the greatest masterpieces to some random person whistling a tune or even simple thoughts in everyday life. Creativity is linked to humans ability for imagination and forward planning.

Creativity is an expression, it can’t be taught. If something is taught then it is the opposite of being creative.

I look at my young children and the joy and love they get from expressing themselves through play is a wonderful thing to see. This is true creativity.

For me writing poetry and making music has helped massively with my mental health. I see creativity is something you do for yourself. If other people enjoy your creativity then great. Creativity has no end goal it’s just part of being human.

Return to “Creative Corner”