Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Any advice on helping a emotionally damaged sibling.

Ask, explore, query, share
lemlem

Any advice on helping a emotionally damaged sibling.

Postby lemlem » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi, I am writing this post pleading for any advice and help anyone has for helping my brother find a way out of the hole he is in.

The story is as follows:
A few years ago my sister took her own life which has had an impact on our family in such a major way, me and my other siblings apart from one brother are doing okay mentally and have our lives in order. My little brother who is 20 has turned into a bullying, depressed, anxious, vicious, aggressive, pessimistic who doesn't want to do anything, they way he treats my parents is beyond belief, I know he is still hurting so bad from what happened, it is getting bad where he has these episodes of turning into a crazy person and letting out trapped emotions it seems like, we as a family know he needs to get counselling. My parents are both old and he is breaking my mum to the point where she is not living any quality of life. He calls my parents names like fat, disabled every swear word imaginable, tells me to go and die in the military etc. He needs a turning point in his life but there doesn't seem like there is ever going to be one with him being the way he is, he is a weed smoker and has been off it for the past week or so which is good, but the way he treats people Is unbelievably bad and he needs to seek help. My older brother has moved out and I have said to my parents I cannot even come home anymore because he makes my time there so bad, he always feels bad after he is the way he is to people so my mum says, but he will continue to wear people down and say the most horrible things.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to go and get some help, we've tried so hard but he seems to be pushing everyone away? Any advice on how my parents need to act or treat him? They are both old and he is breaking my mum to the point where she is not living any quality of life. (he calls my parents names like fat, disabled every swear word imaginable, tells me to go and die in the military etc).

Thanks.

epitaph

Re: Any advice on helping a emotionally damaged sibling.

Postby epitaph » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 pm

Hi lemlem,

Welcome to the forum.
Really sorry to hear the tough time you are all going through.
This forum is very quiet I suggest you register and post here, where I think you may receive more experienced constructive advice:
https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/

This is going to be really tough until your brother acknowledges that he needs help or someone manages to convince him that he is being extremely harmful/hurtful to those around him. Would there be any chance of getting him to see his GP ? Is your brother managing to hold down any form of employment if not where is his money coming from ?

beatricemom

Re: Any advice on helping a emotionally damaged sibling.

Postby beatricemom » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm

The best way to provide emotional support and help is to be in a great emotional state on your own. Because if you are in a bad state, then you cannot help your loved ones. If you can't get away for at least a week and take a break from the environment that surrounds you, find things for yourself at home that can help you restore your peace of mind. It is commonplace to even wrap yourself in a blanket, have a cup of tea and read a book or listen to music. This is a simple, affordable activity. Even if you do not have a blanket that you like, I think that you can get it - just the kind of blanket that you like. I just bought a Kingole fleece blanket for my corner of rest and when I am under a lot of stress, I make coffee and wrap myself in a blanket with a book. At least an hour of such a pastime helps to restore mental strength.
Last edited by ModeratingTeam on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderated to remove link to product

Return to “Information Exchange”