Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Am I doing enough?

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
sunshineandrainbows

Am I doing enough?

Postby sunshineandrainbows » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello,

I am very new here and this is my first post.

Over he past couple of weeks my husband has had a downfall within with mental health. He has always suffered with anxiety but i have never seen anything like this.
He has admitted that he doesn't want to live like this anymore, living in fear. He is very fearful about everything. I have called the doctors, been to A&E and he is now on medication (Anti-depressants) He is only about a week in with the meds but they don't seem to have touched him yet, but i think that is normal.
He has a few appointments coming up for therapy and also with a counsellor, we have had to pay private for them as unable to get help through NHS,i know i am lucky enough to do this and i am grateful for that.

I just feel like i am not doing enough. I've stopped eating much myself, scared to have a shower that's to long, removed all medication from the house, sleeping on egg shells, working from home. I just worry so much! and feel very alone.

I am always happy when i am with him as i don't want my mood to bring him down. But i must admit i do cry when i go to toilet and bring myself back together.

I just want my husband back :( xx

Hope everyone is ok out there xx

soas1961

Re: Am I doing enough?

Postby soas1961 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 am

Hi I’m new here as well.
I’m in the same situation but with my daughter. You have to remember that he’s taken the first major step to recovery by seeking help. Unfortunately I can’t get my daughter to do that.
Now he’s done that he will start to get better as he’s showing a willingness to want to..
Stay positive and don’t be worried about shedding the odd tear as it’s perfectly normal and a stress reliever.
Hope all goes well for you both and the sunshine and rainbows will be back x

lisa22

Postby lisa22 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:11 am

Hi I’m also new , I’m here for support about my daughter, I don’t have any advice but wanted to say just seeing both of post her makes me feel so less helpless and alone

kjsw

Postby kjsw » Sun May 09, 2021 8:14 am

I am in a very similar situation but my husband thinks ending us is the answer, I have told him it’s not but he is so ill and I can see in his eyes. He doesn’t take his meds like he is supposed to be and I can’t force. I don’t know what to do either. I have done a mental Health Awareness course, I have had help myself as like you I stop eating and just cry loads. I want him to be happy and himself again as he hasn’t been right since before Christmas!!

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”