Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My dads mental health worsening due to COVID

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
cjcj15

My dads mental health worsening due to COVID

Postby cjcj15 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi everyone,

So glad I came across a forum to post and share my concerns.
Covid has affected us all in one way or another, I'm sure of that.

My dad has always had depression and paranoia but this covid situation has made it 1000% worse.
There are so many conspiracies flying around online at the moment and my dad unfortunately believes everything he hears and sees. (For example bad things to do with the covid vaccine). There is nothing wrong with believing a conspiracy but they consume my dad and his thought, he spends all his time on his phone researching all these things.

I have three brothers and sisters and he doesn't want any of them to go to school or to wear a mask or to be tested for covid. He is against everything and everyone. My dad stopped taking his medicine late last year as he think he no longer needs it (was on citalopram 40mg for 7 years!)

I've got to the point where I don't know what to do anymore. Its affecting us all but especially my younger siblings and I need to do something to make sure they can continue to go to school and not have to deal with this.

My question is, what can I do to help my dad? Can I ring his GP? He was under the mental health team but they discharged him as he was refusing all help (over a year ago).

I understand it is up to someone to help themselves but if they aren't going to do that I feel I need to step in and make it right for everyone else that its affecting.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post x

pinkfreud

Re: My dads mental health worsening due to COVID

Postby pinkfreud » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:49 pm

You could try ringing his GP but I"m not sure what they can do. Maybe you can try to give some insight to your younger siblings at least. Unfortunately your dad has plenty of fuel as there is so much floating about...

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”