Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My best friend’s depression

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
timmycharlie

My best friend’s depression

Postby timmycharlie » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi everyone. My best girl friend has been dealing with terrible depression. She often thinks of committing suicide, and she feels unhappy and empty all the time. Tho I hang out with her every chance I can but she still struggles over time. Therapy didn’t help. What should I do?

genx

Re: My best friend’s depression

Postby genx » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:29 am

Hi there

You sound like a good friend who really cares and is doing all you can.

You say therapy didn't help, but maybe it just takes a long time, or wasn't the right kind of therapy or the right therapist.

Has she seem her GP as well?

mazza77

Postby mazza77 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Just being there for her is giving her more than you will ever know. There is no eay path through depression and just having you in her corner is a major support. Listen to what she says, it may be hard but encourage her to open up and talk about her feelings, thoughts etc. Holding it all in is exhausting and makes everything worse. Remind her how important and valued she is. Stay close to her, be there and you are doing everything you can.

lol76

Postby lol76 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:04 am

Speaking from my own recent experience its vital to try different therapists until you find the right fit. When your friend finds the right fit it will help her to begin to get better.

Its not your responsibility to make her better and you need to make sure you are okay but just being there and listening to her is more than enough. Your friend needs professional help to get better and a kind caring friend to support her through it which she already has by the sounds of it. She can get better and there is plenty of hope...trust me Ive been at rock bottom and very slowly Im feeling better than I was. I still have bad blips but they dont last aslong and my resilience has grown.

I wish you and your friend well.

johniecrist

Postby johniecrist » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:49 am

There's some good advice on here already, but something I would add is that there is sometimes nothing you can do and you need to give a person space and time to get themselves together. But, be there when they need you and don't give up on them. And don't expect an overnight or even a steady recovery. Recovery from depression is a rocky road.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”