Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How to encourage someone with depression to eat

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
emmaw

How to encourage someone with depression to eat

Postby emmaw » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any tips to encourage someone with depression to eat food?
Just an fyi, they are on medication and have support in place just wondering if anyone has some tips or found a certain way useful?

Thanks!

padmabell

Re: How to encourage someone with depression to eat

Postby padmabell » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Interesting question!
I think it probably varies enormously person to person. I can tell you that for myself, when I have been very depressed I have tended to want very plain childish types of food, similar to if I am physically ill. There are some things I only eat when i am depressed e.g. pasta with plain tomato sauce and grated cheddar in a bowl (not plate). Marshmallow rice crispie cakes. Chewy toffee. I am a health freak and would never eat any of this stuff normally, and don't even like it normally.
Some days in deep depression I would only eat a handful of dry granola, a couple of rice crispie bars and a toffee, plus loads of coffee. I find it hard to drink as well as hard to eat, just because I can't be bothered and can't see the point. If someone else made me a cup of tea I would drink it. You could try that. Or hot chocolate for more calries.
I think in general it's like the food you'd give to someone physically ill. Small bits that don't need a knife and fork. Stuff you can eat with your fingers. Maybe just one or two small items on a plate that you can have in bed. When I'm depressed it's like I'm physically ill.
I should add I've had anorexia in the past and depression and eating disorders kind of go together for me so i might not be a good example.
Hope you find a way to feel better and help the person you care for feel better.

albertinageller

Re: How to encourage someone with depression to eat

Postby albertinageller » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 pm

emmaw wrote:Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any tips to encourage someone with depression to eat food?
Just an fyi, they are on medication and have support in place just wondering if anyone has some tips or found a certain way useful?

Thanks!

Tell them that eating food will help them to cope with depression or it will make them feel better. Some foods that help with depression are fruits, dark-green leafy vegetables, foods high in fiber, fish, nuts, canola, and flaxseed oil

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”