Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Worried about my Brother

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
3cats

Worried about my Brother

Postby 3cats » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am

Hi,
My brother is 62. He has always been a bot of a loner and a bit 'quirky' (I apologise if this is an insensitive term). He inherited the family farm upon our father's death, nine years ago, and now he cares for our 93 year old mother.

I go down to see him, and to help with my mother, who has a series of age related health problems, almost every day (work permitting). My mother also has carers every morning, who make sure she gets up and dressed.

Yesterday, when I came to see my brother, he told me he was seeking a restricting order to prevent me coming down because I had attempted to kill him on several occasions. He claimed he had seen me outside and I had threatened him with a chain saw and tried to drive a tractor into him. He seemed deadly serious.

Eventually he calmed down and I suggested he was very stressed and needed to see the doctor for something to take the edge off the stress.

I am worried about my brother's mental health. He 'mutters' to himself constantly, but this is something we have sort of got used to. Mental health issues and neurodiversity 'run' in out family, so we accept a lot of difference. However, these accusations/delusions are out of character.

I am also worried about his capacity to care for our mother if he is experiencing some distancing from reality.

Hopefully, he will go to the Dr today, as he stated. However, what should I do if he does nothing and remains unstable?

epitaph

Re: Worried about my Brother

Postby epitaph » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi 3cats,

You are correct to feel concerned.

Regardless as to whether your brother actually sees his doctor, is it possible that you would be able to voice your concerns and seek guidance from him (the GP) ?

Take care ...

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”