Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Anxiety & Depression?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
alexandermason

Anxiety & Depression?

Postby alexandermason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:23 am

My depression & anxiety retuned about five years ago after having had It previously. I have been struggling since. I have been having counselling for the last two years which has helped. I am very anxious in social situations and because of this I don’t really have any friends. My anxiety has stopped me from doing things that I want to do in life which in turn makes me depressed. I’ve not been going out much over the last few months because of coronavirus which just seems to have made things worse. I felt like I needed to step out of my comfort zone which is why I am posting this on here.
Last edited by ModeratingTeam on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator to remove spam links

rsxo

Re: Anxiety & Depression?

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Hey :)

I think you're not alone in how you feel - many people have been feeling more anxious and depressed during the pandemic, as we've not been able to see people and go out as much. Glad to hear that you're getting counselling and that it's working for you!

If it's a case of going out, you're allowed to go out for walks etc. Maybe there's a park nearby that you can go to, if you need to step out and take some fresh air? There's lots of support on here and other forums though, many people can relate to your situation - you're not alone here :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

jamesdon

Re: Anxiety & Depression?

Postby jamesdon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:39 am

alexandermason wrote:My depression & anxiety retuned about five years ago after having had It previously. I have been struggling since. I have been having counselling for the last two years which has helped. I am very anxious in social situations and because of this I don’t really have any friends. My anxiety has stopped me from doing things that I want to do in life which in turn makes me depressed. I’ve not been going out much over the last few months because of coronavirus which just seems to have made things worse. I felt like I needed to step out of my comfort zone which is why I am posting this on here.

Depression occurs more often in women than men. Some differences in the manner in which the depressed mood manifests have been found based on sex and age. In men it manifests often as tiredness, irritability and anger. They may show more reckless behavior and abuse drugs and alcohol. They also tend to not recognize that they are depressed and fail to seek help. In women depression tends to manifest as sadness, worthlessness, and guilt. In younger children depression is more likely to manifest as school refusal, anxiety when separated from parents, and worry about parents dying. Depressed teenagers tend to be irritable, sulky, and get into trouble in school. They also frequently have co-morbid anxiety, eating disorders, or substance abuse. In older adults depression may manifest more subtly as they tend to be less likely to admit to feelings of sadness or grief and medical illnesses which are more common in this population also contributes or causes the depression.
Last edited by ModeratingTeam on Fri May 07, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link

Return to “Mutual Support Group”