Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Advice or comments please

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
inked

Advice or comments please

Postby inked » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

I am a 50 yr old guy who upon reflection can see i have suffered with social anxiety and drepression
all of my life.
I finally sought help 10 years ago and began anti depressants and CBT.
My main question i would like answers and opinions on is as follows.
After a few years of different antidepressant meds i am now semi normal with my depressive thoughts 3 to 4 days a week. Do i accept this is going to be as good as it gets or kind of fool myself
that its not good enough and ask to find different meds ect.
I have an anankastic personality disorder thats not changed and cannot face going outside my front door unless ive had alcohol or lots of diazepam on top of this i am told i have perfectionist traits and tend to always be to harsh on myself.
Views on this are greatly welcomed thank you all and be safe.
Alan

battle-angel

Re: Advice or comments please

Postby battle-angel » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 pm

inked wrote:I am a 50 yr old guy who upon reflection can see i have suffered with social anxiety and drepression
all of my life.
After a few years of different antidepressant meds i am now semi normal with my depressive thoughts 3 to 4 days a week. Do i accept this is going to be as good as it gets or kind of fool myself
I have an anankastic personality disorder thats not changed and cannot face going outside my front door unless ive had alcohol or lots of diazepam on top of this i am told i have perfectionist traits and tend to always be to harsh on myself.
Alan

Hi Alan, thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us. I understand medication is something that is given professionally and is something quite personal.. I've done a lot of reading on psychiatric medicine and I am very surprised that you are being given diazepam for depression and social anxiety - as this is a very, very strong benzodiazepine and there are usually other anxiety medications that are less strong. I am of course not advising anything regarding medication, I am just curious if you feel this is suitable for you?

Let me have a thorough read of anankastic personality disorder to see how I can understand your experiences better...

b. angel

prycejosh1987

Re: Advice or comments please

Postby prycejosh1987 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:07 pm

inked wrote:I am a 50 yr old guy who upon reflection can see i have suffered with social anxiety and drepression
all of my life.
Alan

There might be stronger and more effective medication out there. Alcohol is a coping system, but it does more damage to the body and brain than its worth, find another way and explore more options.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”