SANE Support Forum

its hard

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
braveheart

its hard

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:11 pm

hi, my name is Stuart and i take meds for schizophrenia,

i agreed to do some painting for my mum and its not going well :(

basically i am trying my best and she doesn't think its good enough, she's on my back about it and its causing added stress (as if what i was doing wasn't causing enough stress already)

she has agreed to pay me though (begrudgingly) and there is a deadline,

tbh i felt like packing it in today :( (could be another failure under my belt) lol

i just wanted to share because it is really annoying me.

mihaela

Re: its hard

Postby mihaela » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 am

Hi Braveheart,

It seems unfair that your mum is complaining about your painting. After all, she probably knows you better than anyone else. You're doing your best, and it's not your fault that you have a mum who's a perfectionist. If she wasn't happy with your painting she should have paid a painter to do it. So please don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. :) Good luck! x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Stuart,

I think that it would be unfair if you weren't getting paid for it. If you were working for free and she was being really critical, then I think that's quite harsh considering that you offered to work for nothing. Added to the fact that the stress will make your schizophrenia worse, and it seems like she needs to be a little more thankful for the fact that you offered up your time voluntarily to help her for free.

However, if you are getting paid, I think that she can be critical to be honest. She's paying you to do a good paint job, and as the consumer she's allowed to be critical of the job to make sure she gets the best quality job done for her money. I know it sounds harsh because the stress won't help with your schizophrenia, but if you're getting paid to do a job, the consumer will want it done well.

As a consumer, I think she has a right to do so if she's paying you. As a mother, I think she can be more understanding/less critical if she isn't paying you.

Much love <3
RSxo <3

braveheart

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:33 pm

thanks, i took some diazepam and i managed to paint a lot today and she is happy, i gave her a hug and bought her some wine gums, she was out the whole time i was doing it though and that made it so much easier. still got the doors to do and the bannister and the loft door and skirting, do you think i should use gloss on the doors and radiators?

btw i am knackered but luckily i had something ready to eat when i got home and then i had a shower.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”