Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How do I help my daughter

If you're new and want to say hello...
orochimaru

How do I help my daughter

Postby orochimaru » Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am

I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. My daughter is very vocal about her mental health, but it is bringing me right die. I’ve suffered with depression in the past and the atmosphere in my home is making me so depressed. I can’t do or say anything without getting shouted at or told I’m not listening. I’ve made a couple of mistakes and tried to apologies but I’m told ‘you’re just making it all about you’ when I’ve said I’m sorry I git it wrong does anyone have any suggestions what I can do? I’m at my wits end.

epitaph

Re: How do I help my daughter

Postby epitaph » Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Hello Orochimaru,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you and your daughter are having a rough time.

It is difficult to determine from your post what the issue might be or provide much in the way of advice and support. Perhaps the first step it to take a few steps back and just observe the emotions and behaviour your daughter is displaying. What do you see ? (anger, frustration, mood swings, inner turmoil ? etc), now is it possible to try and work out what might have caused this either through discussion or perhaps with the help of others ?

Does you daughter even acknowledge that there is a problem ?

Perhaps you could explain that her behaviour is having a detrimental impact on others... Choose your moment carefully and try not to get dragged into a reactionary emotional tit-for-tat conflict, taking a deep breath and walking away to regroup and provide a more controlled and reasoned response at a later time or even not at all can prevent things from escalating into the red zone.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care and good luck!

Return to “Newbies Room”