Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me..

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
cameron1988

PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me..

Postby cameron1988 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:32 am

Hi everyone!
This is all very new to me but I just feel like I need to write this down.
Just started therapy and that’s only making it clearer my girlfriend doesn’t want to work on it together.
My story:

I’m a lesbian and in a relationship with a woman who also identifies as a lesbian, but has a history with men.
About 8 years ago I got cheated on by my girlfriend at the time with multiple men.
Some of those men confronted me with ‘evidence’, harassed me (I should leave her alone, what can she do with a girl, she needs a real man..).. I really loved and trusted this girl and always believed her excuses when she had to work late or had family things.
Until one night, one of the guys she was seeing, broke into her apartment while we were sleeping upstairs. He pulled me out of the bed and beat me, threw me down the stairs.. He said I should leave his girlfriend alone (MY girlfriend I thought..), said really disrespectful things about lesbians, humiliated me, I was devastated..
Obviously I broke of what I thought was a relationship.
I was completely lost, didn’t date for 5 years.. I didn’t really trust anyone enough to start a relationship again.
And as long as I didn’t commit to anyone I didn’t really feel the issues I had developed from that experience.
Now I’m with a woman who has slept with men before and I completely freak out by that thought. She also is friends with a guy who she used to sleep with. He comes around all the time, she doesn’t get that it bothers me (she knows my story).
I don’t expect her to drop her friend for me, I just don’t get why he needs to be here weekly.
He cheats on his girlfriend, he’s a real macho, I don’t trust him at all and have difficulty trusting my girlfriend.
This has been a constant argument for us, so I realized I had to work on my issue.
I’m started edmr.
Talking to my therapist has made me realize I’m not crazy, I’m not overreacting, I have ptsd. I have serious issues and insecurities about certain type of men because of what I went through..
My girlfriend says things like : you’re overreacting, this guy is something that’s in the past, there’s nothing to worry about..
One time she also mentioned to a friend how great he is in bed, while I was sitting right there..
I get that my jealousy and stuff is not easy for her, but I feel like I deserve better..
Now she told me that we are over because it’s too much for her and she doesn’t wanna feel like she can’t see her friends..
Anyways, just wanted to write this down.
I’m done with feeling like I’m crazy/overreacting.. I’m ready to work on my issue, with or without her support.

ang03

Re: PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me..

Postby ang03 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 am

I don't know if you would want advice or not, but if your partner is telling you that you are over reacting then that's a massive red flag, for starters she shouldn't even be bringing anyone who she fucked in the past over and if you tell her someone makes you uncomfortable and she still doesn't listen, then I'm sorry but she doesn't care for you. If my partner even tried to praise one of their ex flings, I would take that as cheating because cheating isn't just physical, cheating to me personally is when you do something that is disrespectful to your partner. When someone is in a relationship it's because that person is your safe place and comfort place, someone who you can go to without judgement and they respect your feelings and will not dismiss what they think is "overreacting". When we let things like these slide, your partner will start to believe that they can do whatever disrespectful thing they want and that you will just let it pass and still stay with them. I was in a abusive relationship for 2 years and even when they claim that they will change, they will not. Once you let them disrespect you once, they will do it again and again.

Return to “Rant Room”