Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

I wanted to create an indoor garden

Being outdoors...
plum

I wanted to create an indoor garden

Postby plum » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 pm

I wanted to create an indoor garden but I always have trouble with fungus gnats and my plants get destroyed. Besides I don't have the room or enough light. I went overboard with the house plant buying in summer but I realize now that I want to get rid of some or a lot of them and just keep my weeping fig and my fiddle leaf fig and my peace lilies and my ZZ plants the other plants are too much.

merlonmi

Re: I wanted to create an indoor garden

Postby merlonmi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 am

How did you go? I'm curious, I wanted to do something similar taking advantage of this quarantine.

plum

Re: I wanted to create an indoor garden

Postby plum » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Its been going very well.

The most important thing is light when it comes to indoor gardening.

The first thing you need is an app to measure Lumens, I normally use several Lumen apps to measure the indoor lighting and anything above 400 lumens your good to go. Plants will do better by windows but if you don't have much indoor lighting you can use L.E.D White bulbs often labeled as "Cool White" 6500k those will act as a sun for your plants, the higher the wattage the better. You could also go with 6500k L.E.D flood lights which can be bought cheap and you'll have summer indoors and the plants will thrive on it.

For best results you want to choose low light tolerant plants and flood them with plenty of light and before you know it you'll have an indoor jungle.

Low light plants or low light tolerant plants means that the plant can tolerate a low light situation but may not thrive, these are normally shade loving plants which grow under trees in lash jungles and don't get direct sunlight.

All plants love light but some can't take the heat of the sun and will burn but under intense L.E.D lighting they do not get hot so your plants would love it, there is no such thing as a low light loving plant, low light just means a shade loving plant.

Sun loving plants don't often do well indoors.

You'll want to give them at least 8 hours of light per day but 12 hours of light per day is best.

Return to “The Garden”