Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Certain people trigger my panic attacks

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
minniemoo

Certain people trigger my panic attacks

Postby minniemoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi :-)

I have experienced anxiety for years now. Mostly its under control and I have a really good happy life. But one or two specific people trigger panic attacks for me almost every time I see them. It can also trigger a pattern of negative thoughts for days afterwards.

I dont know what to do about this. Of course Ive considered cutting ties but I’m not sure thats fair as they are not bad people, just a lot of history there, and also I feel I cannot be myself around them. I suppose I could just decide to stop caring about what they think / say, but I just cant seem to do that. Ive talked about it a bit with them and they were apologetic but nothing has changed significantly.

I have a therapist and she thinks I should tell them less about my life. This is stressful too tho as there are so many subjects I now work hard to avoid, especially as I’m naturally an open person. I also feel its sad for them as they must sense me holding back. They are important in my life but being around them makes me so very unhappy. I’m not sure what else to do!

MM xx

eeyore

Re: Certain people trigger my panic attacks

Postby eeyore » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi. Its hard to avoid people especially as its sounds as though you don't want to and the people you know most probably wouldn't want you to maybe just don't see them as much but stay in contact by different ways you have to think about your anxiety etc and not let things get too much don't lose all contact though I don't have any friends and its really difficult when I could do with some but I've never been a person who has had Lot's of friends. Maybe take a bit of advice from the therapist and don't tell the people too much but don't bottle it all up either. Hope your OK at the moment

minniemoo

Postby minniemoo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 am

Thank you. My therapist did some EDMR with me yesterday. She thinks there is a trauma there from childhood and perhaps that might help to lift it, I willl be less hyper alert to things that are said and done by them. Today I feel quite odd, like I’m losing the plot a bit, maybe I’m just tired

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Mh staff have told me I'm very hyper vigilant I told them I have to be because of what is happening with my mental illness. Hope you are going to be ok. Mental illness f*****g sucks don't it.

minniemoo

Postby minniemoo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Sorry to hear that. Do you know why you are hyper vigilant? Are there some situations where you are ok?

I dont think I will ever know exactly why but its something that happened to me early on. It would be great if I could finally let this go. Other than this one thing I am doing well!!!!!

Yes mental health sucks, I wish everyone had a good start in life and not be damaged by things beyond their control. Many people have it far worse than me. I cant imagine what it would feel like not to have any trauma though, it must be amazing!!!!

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Yeah I know why I'm hyper vigilant and it's not doing me any good sometimes I may be ok but most of the time I'm not. Thanks for asking and your concern.
That's good to hear that you are ok apart from the one thing that is good to hear. Yeah I would always hope that everyone has a good start in life as well but life's well full of so much going on for people which causes us to have the problems which effects our health and being this time of year doesn't make me feel like doing even less it's such an emotional time and stressful.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”