Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

What is everyone's take on hospital for mental illness

Ask, explore, query, share
eeyore

What is everyone's take on hospital for mental illness

Postby eeyore » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 pm

What is everyone's take on hospital when suffering with mental illness.

I have been in them and considering very very very bad experience etc I now view hospital for anyone with mh just not a good environment to be in.
Look at it this way you get locked in the place and the windows are screwed down. There is limited things to do. They are noisy with how the staff rattle sets of keys. You are looked at by staff as though you have two heads. There is no where to go for a bit of quite time. The staff rifel through your stuff when you are admitted yes for obvious reasons but the people doing that could wait until you're actually there as well. Your supposed to eat everything the staff put in front of you even if you don't want it. You can't get any sleep in them places. The doctors don't know what to tell you. your relatives get treated as bad as you. You're plied with meds that don't do anything but give side effects I mean I could go on but will now say who would want to be in hospital nobody wants to be people, are there to receive help and support to return to the community to be able to get on with life as were told to do so what is the point of hospital in the first place.

piggy

Re: What is everyone's take on hospital for mental illness

Postby piggy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 pm

It wasn't like that in the hospital I was in I loved it I felt cared for respected the staff were great with my family made friends with other patients beautiful meals staff had time to sit and talk yes doors are locked because some patients may not realise what they are doing and abscond and could then be in danger they have to check your bags for anything you could harm yourself with its no issue they do it as quick as they can and give you your bag back they let me take my Teddy out before they checked it if its late evening when you're admitted it's locked up safe while next day your experience isn't across the board it's only your experience you could put people off psych hospitals

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

I'm not wanting people to be put off being in hospital what I'm hoping is that the people in there get the correct help I've seen things in them hospitals that I wouldn't ever repeat to anyone.
They should be a place of safety for everyone who needs treatment but unfortunately there has been patients that have managed to end their own life when in the care of the people who work there. Wouldn't you think that must be really awful for the famliy.

I understand that they check your stuff incase people take things in that could harm someone but it's the way they go through your stuff.
Hospitals are not home and when I was in one the staff were making comments about how much stuff some people were bringing in and saying to the families to take some of there stuff back home.
Locking doors so someone can't abscond that's not what the staff said the doors were locked for they said its because the patients are kicking off and that's the word they used.
Someone else may experience worse than I did but I'm not wanting anyone to be put off from being in a hospital I just always hope the person gets the correct treatment correct diagnosis and proper care that's what I'm thinking of.
I forgot to say hello at the start of my message to you.

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 pm

I had to do a double take when you say you loved it in hospital are you all better then sorry what hospital were you in I will have to ask if I can go there then.

Return to “Information Exchange”