Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Physical symptoms of anxiety getting too much

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
jay88

Physical symptoms of anxiety getting too much

Postby jay88 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:38 am

Hi

New to this forum. I don’t tend to talk to much about my mental health. Probably because I don’t think people close to me really get it. I’ve been dealing with anxiety for about 15 years now. It’s always been manageable and not restricted me too much.

However, in the past 18 months I’ve really gone down hill. Usually, it’s temporary but I can’t seem to get myself back to where I was. I’ve had several months off work which isn’t like me at all.

I get constant dizziness, brain zaps and numbness in my legs and arms. I get plenty of other symptoms but these are the ones that really affect me. I almost feel like I’m going to lose the ability to move which is really scary.

I recently came off my citalopram to see if that was causing it but I’ve not really seen any improvement. Also tried escitalopram which made things much worse.

I feel like if I could sort the physical symptoms I’d be alright. Spoken to the gp several times and they’ve done blood tests which were fine. She thinks it’s anxiety but I’m just not convinced. She said see how I get on for a few weeks and she can refer me to a neurologist if I’m still suffering with it.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I’m just a little lost, I know a few people with anxiety who’ve really suffered with it but they still get on with their lives. Whereas with me it’s so restricting.

Sorry for the rant!

minniemoo

Re: Physical symptoms of anxiety getting too much

Postby minniemoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Gosh yes, my legs have been so numb that I once collapsed getting up to the toilet! I had the ambulance out, convinced something was very very wrong. I’m pretty used to it at the moment as I have a lot going on so have an attack every few weeks. But I wont let it stop me doing these things I decided I want to do with my life now, I just take things really easy and rest lots, try to see people I am really relaxed around and not do anything that causes me stress if possible. Mostly I’m functioning really well, there are just certain triggers that push me over the edge.

I had a period of 2 years similar to what you are describing. After that I had a complete career and lifestyle change. Its never been that bad since.

michaelpk

Re: Physical symptoms of anxiety getting too much

Postby michaelpk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:08 am

Feeling nervous, restless or tense.
Having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom.
Having an increased heart rate.
Breathing rapidly (hyperventilation)
Sweating.
Trembling.
Feeling weak or tired.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”