Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Can you help me tell our stories?

If you're new and want to say hello...
rab

Can you help me tell our stories?

Postby rab » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,
I have struggled ever since my early teens with manic depression, only now at 27 do I find myself delving into the loaded questions of 'How did I get here?' and 'Will I have to battle this for the rest of my life?' Do many of you have these questions during lower points too? How have you found it?

I am grateful that the nation has begun to more openly discuss the mental health crisis, yet I can't help but still wonder whether 'outsiders' perspectives (those close to us or friends with lack of experience etc) on it are changing.

I've been a filmmaker for five years now, but since having a particularly low episode at the start of this year, I've taken a step back to evaluate whats important to me. In doing this I've realised more and more that I'd like to help others who also find it difficult to talk about their depression.

I want to ask if there are both new and long term sufferers of anxiety and depression out there who'd like to tell even a bit of your story, and hope to enlighten others on what living with a diagnoses is like.
Perhaps you've receieved alternative therapies or experienced private health care vs the NHS, or maybe you're unsure of what the next step is from anti depressants?
This topic would be the first that I've documented that is so personal to me, so I value your privacy and understand many of you may not want this. I just thought I'd make a post and see what sort of feedback I get.

Hope you'd like to help me,
Best,
R

waynenikneez

Re: Can you help me tell our stories?

Postby waynenikneez » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

I can relate to this and I often talk with myself about my depression but with the help of talking with others on my podcast, I have found that this really helps me and the funny thing is that I had interviewed this one guy that was going through the same problem that I convinced myself that I was the only one that is going through it.

But that changed when again, interviewing this guy and I am so happy that I started this. The question is this... Where would I be today if I didn't start this podcast thing? Speaking with others and allowing them to tell their story really helped me to share mine openly, which helped me massively in terms of letting go for all to hear.

I get bad anxiety and slight mood changes which I am trying to deal with, I also go into critical thinking which is really tiring sometimes. You are not alone my friend.

Return to “Newbies Room”