Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

advice needed please

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sirhugo

advice needed please

Postby sirhugo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi folks. I have a dilemma and I could use your input

There's a girl in my work who sits a few rows down. I've noticed that she also looks sad and down in the dumps. she always sits in the corner and I've never seen her talk to anyone. I've never even seen her smile. I'm worried she might be suffering from depression and like many others is suffering in silence

I feel an overwhelming urge to reach out to her and say something. I've mentioned this to a few people and they've told me not to get involved and that I could be misreading the situation. I suppose it possible, but I don't want to be one of those people that does nothing and turns away

any thoughts?

maisi

Re: advice needed please

Postby maisi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi, that's thoughtful of you. If it was me I'd probably just try and say hello/be a person showing some friendly interest, and see what response you get, if that goes ok, you mention your own depression as a way of broaching it, but tread carefully, could be anything going on for her, or could be on the autistic spectrum or something else entirely? And if you do have a chance to get chatting, probably also drop in something about your girlfriend!

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

that suggestion makes perfect since and I probably would be doing that. but typically, the person in question sits too far away from me, so I cant have any casual chat. I cant chat to her in passing either because she sits in a corner so I don't pass by her

I don't see any way round it to be honest

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi sirhugo,

Agree with maisi! If she's not on the way, then make the journey to see her. After all, you're doing it to make sure she's okay, not as a convenience :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:18 pm

This is a situation that is much easier for a woman. I could go up and say, hi anne,
I really like your hair. Where did you get it done. Really like your top etc.

Could you say , my girlfriend would be dead jealous of your hair, coat. etc. and carry on. I help in a charity shop so talk to customers easily. I have talked to a few people who have admitted depression.

It is difficult for you but great that you want to help.

Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”