Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Partner really struggling- continuous

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
ldg134

Partner really struggling- continuous

Postby ldg134 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi

My partner is suffering with depression and anxiety and I am finding it really difficult to support him at the moment. I am under a lot of stress myself as we are moving (at christmas, not the best time I know), and I think he's finding it really difficult to adjust to a new place out of his current comfort zone. His suicidal thoughts have returned and I am feeling so very overwhelmed by the whole process and worried about living in a new place away from our support networks. It all feels too much, I don't know what to do. Just typing that down helps a bit. I'm normally really strong but I'm finding this process very very difficult right now as there seems to be nothing that the doctors can do to help in the immediate future and he is already on the waiting list to see mental health services (experience tells me, whenever that might happen and could be pointlessly far in the future).

Help! Or just say something comforting someone, please. I could really do with knowing I'm not the only one or that someone has had to do this with their partner and how they got through it.

Thanks xx

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Partner really struggling- continuous

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Sorry to say you are one of many and if you read other forum posts you will find some real tough horror stories

So welcome

One of the first things to do is look after yourself so that you can provide the support your partner needs at the moment
So do not fall into the trap of not doing all the things that you know you should be doing
Exercise blah blah

Do you know why your partner is suffering from depression and anxiety - does he even
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

claire81

Re: Partner really struggling- continuous

Postby claire81 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:43 pm

You are definitely not alone! My partner and I moved house a couple of years ago and it was a horrible, horrible experience so I know to some extend what you must be going through.

Have you moved already or are you in the process? If you are yet to move and have the money, I'd defintiely recommend getting a professional moving company to do most of the logistics for you. Anything that takes some of the stress, responsibility and physical effort away from you.

If you have already moved see if you can get him to go out for a walk and explore the new neighbourhood. Maybe even to see which houses have their christmas lights up already. I know it can be difficult trying to get them to do anything when they're at that low ebb and it's so hard to know what to do for the best. If he doesn't feel like doing anything right now is there anything you can do for yourself as a little stress buster?

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”