SANE Support Forum

I really do not want to but I am going to go out for an evening street walk

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
upwards-is-the-aim

I really do not want to but I am going to go out for an evening street walk

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:32 pm

I just want to go to bed

It is only by posting on here that I know that i will make myself do it

I shall try my old trick of do the mini route as the target and then usually I upgrade once I get going

I shall post back on my return - with results

Sort of pathetic in a way but hey if it makes me do it then worth the use of a forum thread
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: I really do not want to but I am going to go out for an evening street walk

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Well it worked

I noticed my depressed plod turn into a walk and then a slightly sterner walk and up the hill and did a full route
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 am

Another using the forum to kick me up my ass

By posting that I am going to go out on my morning walk and report back - I then feel that I have to do it
Whereas duvet covers and podcasts are really what I want

I am going to do the gentle park and dog walker route - it gives me bits of mini chat and takes about 40 mins - which is long enough

It is all flat though

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Done and added some extra loops at the end

And did some chatting with dog owners and mums and dads

Pleased I did it - and always am really

It is that getting out at first that is the issue

Sorry to use the forum for this purpose - but it is helping me

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Well done sir. Always good to see someone pushing out of there comfort zone

And there’s nothing pathetic about it. If it’s working for you then keep it up

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Pathetic using the forum to help push me out - but if it works then so what

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Ha, just saw your last entry and thought you'd had a blistering row on the forum! It is lovely to do the thing you know you should, and feel the benefit even if it's not earth changing. Well done. I did a little similar effort today- panic attack, after it passed I just wanted to sleep it off but needed to sort stuff, forced myself up.

It was a beautiful sunny day here. Not making the most of these sunny days like I normally would, but still it's not a terrible sight with the leaves all kinds of colours etc. Beats yesterday for me- 3 buses in torrential rain.

I find when I'm feeling most disorientated, people out and about- dog walkers etc like you say- somehow our smiles or nods and eye contact, or little comments, give me something really worthwhile. It does that for you too, right?

Keep it up, upwards

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Managed to force myself out again tonight - really did not want to but because of this forum thread i did

Ended up doing a decent loop and having a burger in Wetherspoons

Evening route is a solo time and route

I like those little interactions with people and seeing as i have failed - depsite being a very social person historically - to have estabished zero social life where I live due to excessive work and family stuff
(Er not good for MH - it used to be work long hours and then booze and more work - I had sort of accepted my lot on tht score trying to get things better - I do not live with my son and have an off - wtf is going on relationship with his mum - I should stop it really we are to different)

So those minor social interactions now count for quite a lot
And I am to low mood to really want to go out and do stuff that is social but need to start to really and I do not currently want to commit to any set days dates times

Hey that is why I end up hanging around on this forum partly

I have a few long term friends that I text or chat with

I am cheeky enough - once the conversation is opened up - to sometimes even ask if they mind if I walk with them for a bit - I usually keep it short 5 mins say - they are usually very happy to
Thier dogs are a great start point and then we go from there
I do not mention my depression ever to them - I think that would be bad news

Hey that is what this forum is for

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 pm

I'd really withdrawn more than usual for the last few months, which took it down to about zero socially. But circumstances meant I had a busy and more sociable few weeks recently. It was more than I wanted and had some consequences, but there was great benefit in just spending time around people, made me flex my normal side. There's got to be some ways you can find social stuff that isn't a set commitment, have you done any research what's on locally? A little bit of commitment is good, like a walking group or something you're interested in, that wouldn't matter if you didn't show up one week. Dunno what to say about your son's mother, if it's not terrible right now, I wouldn't make serious decisions till you're feeling more stable and strong.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 pm

There is and always has been buckets of social stuff i could get involved in around here

It is just not where I am at at the moment
So I pop into my loose social acquaintances sometimes for a cuppa - easy to say out for a wlk and going past
Some I share stuff with - some I do not

Things like this are a good resource - www.meetup.com

Return to “Mutual Support Group”