Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Reasonable adjustments at work

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
McNuggetsAhoy

Reasonable adjustments at work

Postby McNuggetsAhoy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:57 pm

I have schizophrenia, and I'm also looking for work, but I'm confused about the discrimination laws around mental health. If I said I had to work remotely because of my mental health problems would that be considered a "reasonable adjustment" an employer made to employ me as a disabled person?

I want to get a job but can't deal with working in an office all of the time. I'd need to be able to work from home at least some of the time.

Thanks for any help :).

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Reasonable adjustments at work

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:38 pm

What sort of work are you wanting to do / skilled to do
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi

I think the relevant legislation is the equality act. Under the previous, disability discrimination, act the rule was any condition, including mental health conditions, which had a significant negative effect on your life for at least two years was to be treated as a disability. I don't think that has changed.

The key word is 'reasonable'. The interpretation of that largely depends on employer infrastructure, the cost relative to the resources of the employer and the nature of the job. Not to be flippant but if you wanted to work from home as a football referee, that would be unreasonable. Similarly, if it was a desk based job but no one else worked from home then it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the employer to put special IT infrastructure in place and / or change everyone's working practices to support your home working. If it was a desk-based job and the company was geared up for homeworking for some people, then you have a much better chance of it being seen as a reasonable request, even if it isn't usual in your particular role.

I work for a very large employer and have an option to work from home whenever I need to for MH reasons. I rarely use it because I get nothing done at home. I also have options such as more flexible working than may otherwise be the case, ie. turn up at midday if I've not slept and being able to take leave at short / no notice if I really need to. Reasonable is still key. If I turn up at midday, I will make that time up over the following week or three. If I want to take leave at short notice then it is reasonable for my employer to expect me to arrange things to reduce the impact on my work as much as possible, if it is so bad you have to drop everything, that is illness, not leave.

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I work for a very large employer and Im lucky that I have had changes made to my working pattern for my BiPolar type 2 disorder.
I have also taken a grade & paycut for my own headsense.

I had to have an Occ Health assessment but the process was reasonably painless though I know that the Manager lottery probably helped me as I currently have supportive managers where I have had the opposite before. I think my request was reasonable as has been underlined.

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi there,

If you're able to show why remote working would be more beneficial than working at the office, then they'll be fine with it, within reason :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Mutual Support Group”