Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

If you're new and want to say hello...
melindaj

Keeping calm and attending Doctors appointment

Postby melindaj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm

I attended appointment and in advance printed off attachments from this Web site which explain Loss of Trust, Living without self worth and Suicidal exhaustion.

I managed to stay calm but direct with the same doctor I have seen through out who previously has been dismissive and explained the unnecessary stress I have felt trying to get appointments, sick notes and repeat prescriptions and he was taken aback.

He said he would look up web site but it would poss be over the weekend before he could do this so I asked at reception for email address and sent attachments for attention of doctors at surgery saying that there appeared to be little understanding of how a depressed person feels there and perhaps info might help them with other patients.

This morning I have received a text saying my sick note is ready for collection (this has never happend before I have always had to chase)

This in my mind just goes to show the good that Sane does and how lucky we are to be able to access articulate information which we our selves may not be able to convey during a ten minute appointment.

Thank you to Upwards for your encouragement.

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: New member

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:24 pm

More well done you

And this forum

We all try to help each other
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

familyiskey

Postby familyiskey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 am

don't feel bad I don't think anyone in our position likes the GPS your not a child your just at a loss at with good reason perhaps your not ready for work or maybe you've outgrown that job

melindaj

Postby melindaj » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Dear All,
Medication seems to be working, thank goodness.

Have one last Therapist appointment (she has been fantastic) am enrolling in Mindfulness course for New Year.

Have had meeting with Advocate from Healthy Minds for advise re phased return to work but taken aback at advice to send the below to company I work for which makes me feel like a pariah and seems rather passive aggressive.

The Advocate suggested I go back to work perhaps for 2 days for two weeks and then extend times using my accrued holidays to cover days I am not at work which seems a good idea but does this give the wrong message?

They have continued to pay me throughout since May for which I am grateful.

Mental health comes under the disability act I am told but I don't like this stigma thing about being disabled what are your thoughts?

[Your address]
[Employer’s name]
[Employer’s address]
[Date]

Dear

Subject: Reasonable Adjustment Request

I am writing to ask for some changes to my work arrangements. I want to be able to do my job well and making these changes will support me to do that.

[Explain how your impairment or condition affects your work. Give the facts, be specific and clear.
Explain:
• The adjustments you need at work before you can start working
• Future adjustments
• How this would help you do your job better
• If possible, explain how the employer can make these changes without disrupting the business. If you’re not sure how this might affect the business, ask if you can talk about this.]
The Equality Act 2010 says that employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled employees when a person is at a substantial disadvantage compared with an employee who is not disabled.
Employers must take reasonable steps to address this. These can include:
• Changing policies, procedures and practices
• Changing the physical environment
• Providing extra aids and services.
If it is reasonable for the employer to make a change, then it should be made.

I believe that as a disabled person, under the Equality Act 2010 I am entitled to the reasonable adjustments I have requested.

I would be happy to discuss this request in more detail, but I would like a written response within 14 days.

Yours sincerely,
[Your name]

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Interesting that you are implying your own stigmas towards what you count as disabled

Just accept the term for what you have - it does not matter - it is what is used

If everyone else calls it a duck - then there is a lot to be said for also calling a duck

If they have been supportive towards you - then I think that letter is a rather unpleasantly worded one and might change their attitude towards suddenly formalising everything

Your call - but I would make some notes and pick up the phone and ring them

BUT there might be legal reasons to do it as per the letter
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 am

Hi

I'm chipping in because I have reasonable adjustments in place at work.

You know your own employer best and if a conversation would be better than a letter but it is important to get any agreement, or lack of one, in writing. If your employer is small and doesn't have procedures already, it may be worth pointing out that a written agreement gives them legal protection because it shows they have met their obligations. It also gives you protection against discrimination.

I can understand reluctance to recognise MH issues as a disability, after all, I wouldn't swap places with someone in a wheel chair but these issues still have a long term negative impact on your life.
Sometimes we are just not up to operating at full steam. That doesn't mean you are not capable of working to a high standard. A bit of understanding by and a few adjustments from, your employer can mean that you can minimise the impact on your work, benefiting both parties.

The important word in these agreements is 'reasonable'. Depending on the job and the employer, this can include things like; more flexible working, opportunities to work from home, an extension to the number of days off sick which would normally trigger HR action, changes to working environment, adjustments to workload, a change in the type of work to minimise anything particularly triggering, a temporary or permanent change of role or reduction in hours worked (with consequent reduction in salary). Phased returns to work are not uncommon either. You can slowly build up your hours and work back to full time levels.

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:10 am

Ps.

Three of the best things I have found helpful in dealing with work stress are,
Mindfulness - glad to see you have signed up for a course.

Not overworking - recognise there are diminishing returns when you become tired. Sometimes taking a break or finishing early can mean you are much more productive when you return. Definitely prioritise sleep.

Developing my interests outside of work - the more other stuff I do, the more I have to fill my mind with. This helps me not dwell on work stuff. Not thinking about work gives me a chance to relax and giving my brain that break actually improves productivity when I am at work.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am

andthistoomustpass wrote:Ps.

Three of the best things I have found helpful in dealing with work stress are,
Mindfulness - glad to see you have signed up for a course.

Not overworking - recognise there are diminishing returns when you become tired. Sometimes taking a break or finishing early can mean you are much more productive when you return. Definitely prioritise sleep.

Developing my interests outside of work - the more other stuff I do, the more I have to fill my mind with. This helps me not dwell on work stuff. Not thinking about work gives me a chance to relax and giving my brain that break actually improves productivity when I am at work.

Sensible advice

-And as someone who did not give attention to these - though I was self-employed and the pressures so very different - I can say that I think not MAKING the time - helped lead to my considerable downfall
Though in my defence I could never get the time to get the business stable so that I could start to look after myself
Instead I self medicated with booze - it was all that I was up to after 12 hour days etc

So do take attmp comments on board and good luck

Return to “Newbies Room”