Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Autumn... pros and cons

Being outdoors...
breatheinandout

Autumn... pros and cons

Postby breatheinandout » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 am

Reflecting this morning about the season and while I like autumn and the colours and crispness I don't like the darkness closing in. Can be nice to be inside and nice and warm and snug, but not supportive when I could do with encouragement to get out and about and do stuff....

Also means that winter follows - which is always a difficult time. Wondering about getting one of those light boxes - anyone use one?
Why did i pick such a long username?! Do call me Biao :D

maisi

Re: Autumn... pros and cons

Postby maisi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:42 am

Yeah it's the biggest change in seasons psychologically, I think, late summer into autumn. Not many countries have 4 seasons like this, I like to see it from an olden days perspective- the seasons represent states of mind for me, and autumn/winter is about self care and preservation.

I don't have a light box but I bet they're worth trying, but I have a v bright bulb in the hallway which is the dimmest part of my flat- used to be a natural daylight bulb but they're expensive.

I've always felt Autumn/winter is the start of introspection, it's not sad, it's just my other level. Candles are good, and I feel more dependent on nature- even though I enjoy nature most in the summer, in autumn/winter I need it more.

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am

Hi biao and maisi

I can appreciate the beauty of autumn and it is lovely to be cosy inside when it is dark and bad weather but I find this time of year the absolute worst and it has started already.

It might be worth me trying a light box. I will look into it.
I find Christmas an ordeal now and the weeks leading up. I used to love it.

Any tips to help us get through this would be appreciated. There must be so many people feeling the same.
Take care. X Chris

oakwood

Postby oakwood » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi.
I'm a fan of autumn, I love the colour on trees and to walk through crispy leaves. I live next to a park so it's easy to pop in but equally easy to miss the opportunity. But I suffer with SAD so it's also the beginning of a more difficult time. The positives are I can ware a scarf and gloves Which Odly I love. Wrapping up warm drinking spiced hot chocolate watching rain from the inside of a cafe while I read a book. I have to find positive things to enjoy when the light fades.

breatheinandout

Postby breatheinandout » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Thank you for all your replies and reflections on the season - the positives and the negatives. It really helps to hear i'm not alone. The encroaching darkness is making me want to hibernate, so love hearing about how we can try and manage the seasons, helps me a lot.

This week i've accepted how i've felt - going to bed early then reading or listening to the radio rather than resisting the feeling that need to snuggle. But aware I do not want it to become every evening :)

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 am

I really like this thread- it makes a huge difference what time of year it is, and it's good to talk about it. Summer is my favourite, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't enjoy that season the most, it's got everything good going for it as far as I'm concerned. No school for those with children though, that's a plus and a minus, depends on a lot of things.

Autumn is definitely less easy, but also then less pressure to do fun things.

Depression hasn't been a big factor for me so far, so I'm curious, and uninformed- what feels different about long evenings, more hours of night etc, in a bad way? I feel some sadness about waving goodbye to summer, but know I don't get the fear or worry about daylight hours, and am curious.

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 am

I love the spring time. The new green on trees and gardens. Shoots appearing and thoughts of some finer weather.

I have been reading up on the light boxes and I'm not too sure yet if they will be suitable. Some say not to use if your skin is sensitive to sunlight. Mine is through my medication.
I will look into it more, I know it isn't uv rays that they are giving out, but I had rather not waste my money.

We have had some really nice bright weather lately which is making November seem much better than I usually find it. Not that I have been able to go out much through being poorly. Looks good from window. :)

How's everybody else's week been?

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 pm

This is an interesting topic,
I did mean to join in the discussion before now.

I have found that a day-light light bulb is a worth while investment.
I have lived in the tropics, so though I love autumn, my brain does not like the lack of bright daylight.
My internal time keeping (circadian rhythms ) get muddled :shock: and I feel even more low.
My brain is used to rising with the sun...so rising without the sun is a Big c.h.a.l.l.e.n.g.e.

I have to make sure I get out during the day, to get a little bit of natural light, no matter how weak the light might be.

Florecent bulbs do make me feel quite ill and help lower my mood.
with best regards

I do love the changing of the seasons ...in autumn it is as if gold has been libreally sprinckled over the earth and then the trees and little critters have a sleep, so that they are ready for the work of the next year.

B

breatheinandout

Postby breatheinandout » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

I love spring too Chris, it feels a long way away at the moment :lol: even though it is weirdly mild today.

I have never heard of 'day lightbulbs' so will definitely investigate, thank you betterinrecovery. I like rising with sun too! I had been going through an anxious time when I was waking in the dark and lying awake ruminating.... not good. now i'm sleeping a bit better - but don't want to get out of bed in the morning!

love the image of gold sprinkled over the earth :)

maisi - interesting you saying that, made me reflect a bit on whats going on with it. I don't have a diagnosis of seasonal affective disorder. however there is definitely something for me about Light = happy and alert and Dark = fed up and tired.

something I do like about autumn and winter though- snuggly winter jumpers :)

oakwood

Postby oakwood » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm

The wildlife garden orchard I volunteer at just got some benches installed so I spent a couple of hours reading in-between doing bits of gardening it was so nice to sit with no one around and enjoy being in nature.
Summer for me is too hot and we'll sunny! I like the shade But lack of sunlight in winter lowers my mood things seem more difficult. Still I like winter for other reasons, I'm complex and full of contradiction.

I've got my gloves out and several scarves in anticipation of the cold weather. The light box thing sounds interesting the seem expensive for an ugly led array.

Return to “The Garden”