Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Married to a depressed person

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
twlewis

Married to a depressed person

Postby twlewis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:12 pm

How do you cope with a depressed husband??I have been married for 15 years to a man that is constantly struggling with his mental health. He knows it is an issue but refuses to seek professional help. He just accepts it is hereditary and must wait for the phase to pass which it doesn't. As awful as it is for him I think I have come to the point where i want to give up. My biggest struggle is having him get help, he just will not speak to a professional and thinks it is down to me to support him to get through. He and his family know it exists but want to bury their heads in the sand until the symptoms ease up. What can you do in this situation? If it wasn't for the three kids we have I think I would have given up years ago.

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Married to a depressed person

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Wait for them to kill themselves - seriously - happened to someone I half knew and they were liberated by it

Try and have your own life and time with the children and have your husband on the edge not pulling you down

Try and get him to have his own life to pull himself up slowly

Always be there to offer support but not at some slave level - but at the level you are doing now - suggesting that he gets help etc

You do not make clear whether he has always been like this or not

What has changed

Does he/you know guess/suspect what has caused him to be depressive
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm

You imply it stops at time - can you work out when/why it stops/starts

How do you help him - or do you just put up with his moping around

Does he have any interests

Does he drink a lot

Do you communicate well

How do your friends find him - what about his work collegues

Tell us more
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

phoenix76

Postby phoenix76 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Being around a depressed person is really horrible. They create an awful, black atmosphere that can be infectious. What is his diet like? People with depression should stay away from caffeine, sugar, and junk food. And also alcohol. If he cut those and switched to a clean, plant-based diet you might be surprised by the results.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”