Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Mum with Mental Health issues

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
forty

Mum with Mental Health issues

Postby forty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Hello,

I am new here. Just wanted to get some support on my current situation.
My mum is mentally ill and has been for some time now, she was sectioned this year and diagnosed. I am one of six children and it has been a very traumatic and draining experience for all of us. She was discharged during the summer and we started to see a drastic improvement but a month or two in she started worrying about things, such as bills, food, heating etc.
I had to stop the bailiffs today from repossessing her belongings whilst at work and I just found it all very overwhelming and stressful. I can't help but be angry and shout her at times because she is not thinking rationally at times. I feel bad and just helpless now, she has a care co-ordinator who hasn't been very proactive. My mum is given medication every two weeks but that's it, I would have thought some counselling sessions or activities would help her recovery. I don't see a lot of support out there for people.

Is anyone going through anything similar or can offer some advice?

Thanks,

F x

aquila

Re: Mum with Mental Health issues

Postby aquila » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Forty, your post expressed some of the things I would be posting, but my relationship is the other way round, I'm trying to support my dd. I'm wondering how old you are because I've been on this planet for over half a century and I'm really struggling to cope with what's happening.
Sadly, I don't have any advice, I really, really wish I did! But I wholeheartedly agree the services the people we love need aren't there - so we are all left struggling trying keep our head above the water.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 pm

I have no idea how old you are

But bailiffs at the door means that things are well out of hand

Are you old and bright enough to take over the running of the finances of the household

And if not then ?

First thing you need are ideas on what to do about the position

The next thing you need is a plan taken from those ideas

So get out the pen and paper or the laptop and start with the ideas
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 pm

And then get the worker involved

Find out where she is based and send a written letter - or an email - so that there is some written record that puts her neck on the line a bit more

Nothing nasty - just explain the position and ask how and where they can help and ask for a written reply so that you can refer back to it

If they want to do it verbally then write it down yourself and get them to read it and agree to it

You put the work into getting that right and then they are more liable to be proactive and do their job right
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 pm

And if there is not the MH support - maybe come out with ideas on how you and the rest of the family can come together and help

Create your own support group and then tap into this and other places for help - there is a lot out there - the problem is that there is buckets and which to use/choose/try

Try and get her into activities that get her out of the house and meeting people

Maybe use this forum to help work out what the problems are and then we can suggest the best places/routes to help

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”