Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

The pros and cons of (alcohol) self medicating

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
upwards-is-the-aim

Re: The pros and cons of (alcohol) self medicating

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Well it is not going to help your sleep for sure - you will go off to sleep quickly and then wake lots

Do you think that part of the problem is that you do not know what to do with your time at night when sat there alone
And there is a good friend to turn to - the good old bottle of wine

Or do you think there is some other reason

You will know that a bottle of wine is a lot of calories and also it is enough to make you feel low in energy the next day - and the next etc

When you talk about the activities that you do - are they on your own or with others
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 am

Hi,

I deleted my last post as it had too much personal info, but the gist of it was circumstances have meant I haven't really cared about my mood, energy levels, quality of sleep etc and have managed anyway, and am under huge pressures so am entitled to a drink.

I just wanted to say it's been really helpful to be asked questions by everyone in this thread, and to look at my answers.

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am

Hello Upwards

You're a welcome addition to this forum. As you will have noticed there aren't many of us who post.

Drinking a bottle of wine is far more pleasurable than popping a pill.

Which goes to the third way, not one or the other but both. The problem I discovered is that the alcohol affects the efficacy of medication.

When I've been really bad I actually haven't wanted to drink but that might be just me

Isap the

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Maisi

I don't know a great deal about this and in your situation as a carer i'm not in a position to comment. Despite that I will

The fact that no dr psychiatrists etc would advise it says a great deal

I do believe that addiction adds to problems eventually.

On a personal level a very good friend was an alcoholic in denial. He always came out of awful depressions though. He was a functional alcoholic. In his last depression we were at his house and he promised he'd never drink again. In hospital his depression was sorted. A few weeks later I found out he was drinking again. After 6 weeks of good health he went into terribleness anxiety which was too much and he took his life

His drinking will have had a big effect on the efficacy of his drugs.

That is extreme but I live in a poor area where death through alcoholism is not unusual.

Re sleep. My gp will prescribe 12 zopiclone a month knowing I will only take them on 3 nights in a week. Also I take the odd phenergan, over the counter.

As you know regular use doesn't work. but if you space them out they do.

If I sound judgemental II'm sorry. It's because I still feel angry with my friend

Take care
Deb x

Foggy1

Postby Foggy1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi Maisie. I tried self medicating for depression. I lost my job, partner, home lived on the streets a total itinerant. I nearly died at the age of 34. I have been sober for 30 years. Please do not think that i am on a downer about alcohol, this is far from the truth. I recognise there are those who mostly handle their alcohol consumption(perhaps with a couple of nights having 'one too many') and
not everyone follows my path (thank God) but this is my experience of alcohol.

Take Care

Foggy

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:20 pm

maisi wrote:Hi,
and am under huge pressures so am entitled to a drink.

I just wanted to say it's been really helpful to be asked questions by everyone in this thread, and to look at my answers.

Drinking can be great and I am not suggesting that you are not entitled to it but I might suggest that that it is worth us - as forum and if you want to - to look at and think about the pros and cons of using alcohol to self medicate and why you do it and is it right for you at the moment
Hey you started this thread

I asked some questions - because I have sometimes drunk because I have been so BORED and it gave me a break from the boredom - other times and mostly stressed from work and more to do once home
The short term effect is lovely - well in my book - and the taste if you are not to cheap - oh and wine with food especially cheese
I liked drinking on my own - with others - with food without food - hey afternoons can be fun for a few - as can straight after work - etc etc etc

I do sometimes wonder where I would be mentally and in life now if I had not drunk at the level I did
Dead possibly - lighter for sure - maybe in a much better postion because I would have had to find other solutions to my problems and gone down a very different path
I have no idea

And to give perspective I am currently on valium/diazapam and do wonder if I would be better off giving up that and hitting the bottle again
I have not now drunk for about 4 months and have zero desire to - not sure why - but I had been really cutting down since the start of the year and then just stopped really because I knew it stopped me doing other things and especially the exercise one - and also the older you get the less the body can hack it
I am disappointed that the "rewards" of giving up have not been higher in terms of energy levels -but then if the stress is pulling me down then ... ?

I have never been a spirits person - mind the odd bottle of southern comfort sometimes - god that sound nice right now - but I would never do a full bottle

Wine solidly so - open bottle drink bottle - sometimes add extra to it - some beer maybe
And often 7 days a week

At one time many years ago I used to do 2 bottles of wine within an hour of home from work
The escape was lovely - but was probably the wrong escape and only a short term solution and boy did the weight pile one

As I like to say it got me through the days and buggered me up by the weeks and months and years

I was always able to stop and did at times but as a self medication it hit the spot for me

(Getting to be a chunky little forum thread this one)
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 pm

You say you deleted a forum thread because it had to much personal stuff on it

Up to you but sometimes sharing the shite can help - as can just writing it down and not sharing

Maybe try a new forum thread and put one or some of the issues you have on there and ask for ideas

We know you are stressed and that is why you and drinking - but it sounds as if you have multiple stressors

What have you got to lose ?
What might you gain ?

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am

Hi, yes seems like a good thing to talk about and share perspectives on.

Ah, upwards, I wasn't clear enough 'I'm entitled to a drink'- I mean I say that to myself, not in response to you and others. I'm not morally troubled by using alcohol, yes if it's daily the amounts are going to want to creep up and that needs managing with changing habits and attitudes, that's where I'm at. Feel free not to answer this, but how long are you going to take diazepam for, and how will you manage the addictiveness? Don't hit the bottle, you know that's a bad idea!! I don't know much about medication, but have had 1/2 diazepam twice in desperation, some months ago, and it's very nice. Got a packet in the medicine cabinet.

I have a problem with the impact of booze on self awareness (time for reflection, clarity of thinking, handling serious emotions with care and tact) and sleep that involves dreaming- I don't remember dreams if I've fallen asleep in a wine haze. I'm having therapy and it seems counterproductive to use such a blunt tool at the same time as trying to do careful work on myself.

Due to my responsibilities I can run on empty for as long as it takes- that is the nature of parenting someone in medical crisis since birth. But since being knocked nearly out of my mind with acute trauma reactions, I'm having to take care of myself for the first time really. It's not that I don't want to share what my situation is on here, it's that it's impossible to explain without doing it as a narrative, and it isn't helpful for me to recount my story in that way, and just take my word it's a lot of trauma, and I've been really ill with acute reactions for about 6 months, and chronic reactions for at least my whole adult life.

But yes, started the thread cos I feel a bit saturated with drinking in the way I have been. So I've just had a clear reminder of what nights are like sober- insomnia, then when I get to sleep, waking after an hour/hour and a half in the middle of the night with anxiety and having to start again....

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:34 pm

You will only get the benefits of less alcohol if you really cut it right down/out and for a long period of time

The odd night without is going to be worse

And hey it aint all bad - if it helps keep you going

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 pm

I sometimes like to ask what I call the god question(s) - it means absolute with no choice - that has been taken away from you by god - he has spoken

So ...

God has said that from tomorrow onwards you will not be drinking anymore - he will stop that happening whether you like it or not - hence the absolute with no choice

So now what are you going to do / change to keep on going
Or at least try to do

Return to “Mutual Support Group”