Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Developing our mental health toolkits

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
betterinrecovery

Re: Developing our mental health toolkits

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:36 am

Dear All
I am copying out ideas from this thread on to little cards, as reminders to myself.
I am putting the cards in a little plastic Tupperware box, which of course will be my mental health tool box.

I would like to add
keeping a warm wrap-around cardigan or a gilet at hand. In times of vulnerability I put mine on, to keep me warm and comforted.

A special pair thick socks might also work this way,

Best wishes
B

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

my girlfriend has a woolly hat she wears a lot. She says it makes her feel better is she's having a bad day. never got it till now, but I now realize its a comfort thing

great idea about the cards. I've done something similar. im keeping a little notebook now myself. I make plans for the days with it for a bit of structure, but im also keeping a "depression checklist". anything I find that can help me improve my depression goes on the list. definitely helps when im at my worst :D

teamn

Postby teamn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Not putting pressure on myself to Be better or back to the old Natalie, but reestablishing who I am now.

Just correcting the spelling , :D :? :!:

teamn

Postby teamn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Wow how wonderful, putting them onto cards, absolutely great idea. This thread is really making me feel joy, way to go Tofler.

betterinrecovery wrote:Dear All
I am copying out ideas from this thread on to little cards, as reminders to myself.
I am putting the cards in a little plastic Tupperware box, which of course will be my mental health tool box.

I would like to add
keeping a warm wrap-around cardigan or a gilet at hand. In times of vulnerability I put mine on, to keep me warm and comforted.

A special pair thick socks might also work this way,

Best wishes
B

teamn

Postby teamn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi Sh

the notebook and checklist great idea, I did opposite during my deep moments of depression and kept a list of what or who triggered me, so I could Bette manage it or avoid it/them.

sirhugo wrote:my girlfriend has a woolly hat she wears a lot. She says it makes her feel better is she's having a bad day. never got it till now, but I now realize its a comfort thing

great idea about the cards. I've done something similar. im keeping a little notebook now myself. I make plans for the days with it for a bit of structure, but im also keeping a "depression checklist". anything I find that can help me improve my depression goes on the list. definitely helps when im at my worst :D

littleem

Postby littleem » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 pm

The cards are a great idea. I keep cards with positive quotes and my positive qualities written on them in my purse.

I read something today about keeping a 'white dog' box of all the things that make us happy and feel better. I liked this idea!

Teamn, with regards to identifying triggers, I've found keeping a daily mood diary has been a massive help in identifying triggers, things that boost my mood, helpful/unhelpful behaviours and any particular patterns. It's also really encouraging to see the diary showing improvement as the months go by!

teamn

Postby teamn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 am

Hi littleem

Yeah keeping track of triggers I found extremely helpful, I don’t get triggered by as many things as I use to, one reason is because I’m happy in my new home, but other reason is as I’m aware of them and thus it’s not a trigger that someone can pull and I react, instead I now respond with a choice of behaviours, much more controlled and healthy way, and positive responses, That don’t result in outburst or internalisation.

littleem

Postby littleem » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:34 am

That's so positive, teamn. Keep strong!

Em x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Over the years I've learnt lots of stuff. When I'm unwell (like now) I underestimate their effectiveness in as much as they're probably stopping me getting worse rather than feeling better.

Having a routine that involves spending most of the day amongst other people.

Going to bed early and getting up before 9 are crucial to me

Reminding myself that I might (that's as good as it gets just now) get well again and along with that reminding myself that I have thought the worst would happen for decades. CBT allows those thoughts. more helpful thoughts.

Because I believe in God I started ajournal some years ago where I tell God how things are and try to put positive stuff in it.

When I am out and feel miserable trying to act upbeat so that my memory isn't so upsetting.

Coming on here and telling people how scared I am and not having them say 'but you know you'll be fine'

Never doing good deeds that will impact on my health.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”