Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Loneliness...

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
tofler

Loneliness...

Postby tofler » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 am

Anybody else on here struggling with loneliness as well as mh issues?

betterinrecovery

Re: Loneliness...

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

Dear T
my short answer is " Yes".
I also have a longer answer, but I have to think a bit before I write.
Best wishes

B

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Tofler, yep, me too. I used to be alright, but gradually withdrew and have tried and failed to gel with new people a few times, in volunteer/adult education settings, because of my other problems. Partly I find it hard to be interested enough, and didn't have much interest in my welbeing. I'm hoping tackling the MH issues will help me be easier with people. You've had a marriage breakdown, haven't you? That must be a big factor- long term couples don't 'need' friends as much as single people do I reckon. When I was in a long term relationship, I didn't feel as lonely, despite the lack of social circle. How often is the support group you've started going to?

Hi betterinrecovery, sorry to hear it, if you do feel like giving a longer answer, I'd be interested. I'm not sure who everyone is and their backgrounds, sorry.

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm

I fins a support group helpful as you meet people who are similar. They can provide support and advice to you. Some have social events also.

tofler

Postby tofler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:27 am

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it! Good to know that I'm not the only person struggling with this double whammy of loneliness and mh problems, although I'd much prefer it if none of us were in this situation. I've only been to a couple of the support group sessions and it doesn't seem to be very well attended but I'll stick with it as it has taken a long time to find a group that I can actually get to because of my working hours and family commitments. I have other ideas about things I'd like to try (e.g. getting involved in local community projects) but this is also proving difficult to do because of my working hours and family commitments. I'll keep looking for things though but in the meantime, the loneliness can get a bit overwhelming at times!

tofler

Postby tofler » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Feeling lonely is really on the increase for me at the moment.

Support group not helping with this.

Being on here isn't helping with this (and is probably making it worse).

Still no joy with finding activities etc that I can go to, because I work full time and everything that appeals to me seems to take place during office hours, so I can't get there.

It all feels pretty hopeless at the moment.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”