Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
depressedtodeath

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby depressedtodeath » Mon May 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Thank you for your reply betterinrecovery, i am not used to not having friends, i had a fair few very good ones when my children were young, mainly met at mother and toddler groups, outside school etc. My children are all grown up now and then i got moved right out of the area as i had to go in a women's refuge, after that depression took a massive hold so i was all alone in a strange place. I have been to Mind groups etc but am reluctant to try that again as a man got a police caution for phoning me with sexually abusive phone calls, at another group a man started banging on my door morning and night wanting the phone number of a woman at the group he had got fixated on and tried to push his way into my bungalow. Yet again i have been moved to a new town. The forum used to be a much busier place, i've been on and off here for many year, never known it so quiet. Fortunatley i don't feel any unworthy or unlikeable at all, i seem to make friends quite easily, when i am at my best people say i make them feel good and have a very dry sense of humour. It is just knowing how to meet people that is the problem. I am unable to do hobbies as i have alot of aggitation due to anxiety and cannot concentrate. I have been googling and found a site i think called "friendmatch", i may try them. I have no problem with letting people know i have mental health problems, probably because i've had a life time of them, i don't know an existence without them and fortunatley have not encountered much awkwardness from people about them. Lots love Aisling.

christabel

Postby christabel » Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi everyone.

Do you ever get times when you know your brain won't function enough to write anything. I had a virus last week and it has left me feeling low.
At times I feel very lonely even though I have my husband here most of the time. Just to have a friend to have a cuppa and chat with. It was really nice to see you all joining in on here. Made me feel better knowing you are all there, understanding and caring.

Wrote that and don't feel like sending it. I don't want to make everybody else feel bad. I will just have a bit browse through the forum and come back on later. Take care. X Chris

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Tue May 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I thought you might like this poem, it was found in a graveyard in Baltimore in 1692, i find it intructive of how to live my life.

Desiderata

Go placidily amoungst the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggresive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achiements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your bussiness affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals and everywhere there is heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perenial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrender the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is enfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its shram, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

I bought a metal sign of this poem from Amazon for £19.99.

Best wishes Aisling

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am

Hello to you Chris!!! :D
Hello to you Aisling!!! :D
Hello to you Maisi !!! :D
Hello to other people reading this.

Very busy lately, with work and all...nice to be able to catch my breath.

Today is a good day for cooking a curry. Will start early then if I run out of energy it wont matter.

Chris, yes, I do find that virus infections slow me down too. Chris do you remember that I said I would write a blog? I have been trying not to write a blog ever since :lol:
As I have posted here over 500 times now, maybe it is time I tried the blog, maybe just a paragraph or two....I did a bit of a celebration when I got over 500 posts.

Best Regards
B
it's going to be a Rogan josh curry :D yummy

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 am

Sunday Morning,
Nice weather...nice for the bees and all. I was watching the gardening programme on the BBC -Glorious Gardens from Above, I do like this programme. The section on bees was really interesting.
I also like Christine Walkdens style of presenting.
At the end of the programme they were all eating honey cake...that does sound marvellous.
Chocolate cake is also marvellous and I am going to make one today :D :D :D :D

I think I shall have to call my Wednesdays 'curry Wednesdays', the Curry last Wednesday was a success with my husband. We had it for two days and then I froze the rest for again.

I have to remember to label the plastics in the freezer, sometimes it is pot luck with what I get out to defrost. What I thought was chilli con carne turned out to be a sort of Tuna stew and frozen tomatoes and onion salsa looks a lot like frozen stewed plums! :roll:

So, the curry was Rogan Josh made with beef and to cut down on the use of meat (and the cost) I added chunks of carrot as well; I always add extra onions to most curries so extra onions too.

I am learning that I need a lot of down time - so have to cook in bulk when I have the energy and when I have the inspiration.
Best wishes B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 am

Glorious beans!
I was saying to Aisiling about beans and a simple beans recipe.

Well, what I actually do is make a bolognaise but I use tinned butter beans instead of ground beef.
So I start off with a chopped onion (of course), fried in a tiny bit of oil, or just softened by cooking in water, then I add the beans and a jar of sauce. Then just herbs and chilli to taste.
I like to eat it with tortilla wraps, or a couple of slices of bread or even on plain rice.
like many stews, it lasts very well in the fridge....
B

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi all, please see my post in Mutual Support room, "Just a nice idea, what do you think? Any replies to it much welcomed. Regards Aisling.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 am

Dear Aisling,
Good morning to you. I read your post on the 'Mutual Support' area, That idea is interesting, but not for me really.
I would, however, join SANE as a volunteer and/or attend SANE events.
Might even see if I could do a 5k run one day....in the ....distant ....future..
Best Wishes to You
B

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks for your reply betterinrecovery, Aisling

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi everyone.

How are you all doing?

It is a nice idea Aisling that you put forward. It certainly something to aim for in the future although I live quite a distance from London and the time would have to be right. Nice thought though :)

Just a little update from me. Have managed two quite long walks last week which is an accomplishment for me. My foot is a little swollen but not too painful. The injection in my butt has obviously helped. I have lost over the 2 stone mark 29lbs to date so that is making a big difference.
Still enjoying cooking. Cajun bean soup. Lemon and blueberry baked oats are latest recipes I've tried.
Internet ropey. Going for now. Chris

Return to “The Kitchen”