SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 am

Dear Chris, Dear Maisi
hello to you both.
Re: clearing of the tubes- I put a drop of lavender oil or Eucalyptus oil on my pillow at night (probably said this before), it helps with breathing at night and with relaxation.

Yes, I noticed there were not many ladybirds around last year too.

Chris your activity in the garden is a challenge to me. I would like to go out there and just empty any flower pots that have been filled with water.
(working on the CBT approach of breaking a bigger problem down into smaller chunks).

I love Scones, I particularly love cheese scones Share your recipe Chris!

Chris, I am glad that the injections have been helpful.

I do believe there is a lot to be said for acceptance of our mental health conditions. I think some times we torture ourselves with the 'fighting the depression' school of thinking. I think it should be understanding what is happening to us in depression and recovering as much as we possibly can.
I am also irritated by some the quick fix sound bites on the news regarding mental health, that sound good but are quite misleading,
more news as it comes in :roll:
B
(forgive me the last bit should really be posted in the rant area, might do this, very best wishes to you both)

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi b and maisi

How is the weekend going for you both? Looks as though it is going to turn a bit colder from tomorrow again. :cry:
Managed a walk along our seafront the other day which I haven't done for ages. Lovely feeling the fresh sea air blowing the cobwebs away.

The scones are just Mary Berrys recipes off internet. I used to use Bero recipe book but tried MB s and they came out really nice.
My son in law is always shouting out for more.
Tried another soup recipe which came in handy when my daughter came as she is desperate to lose weight. She said is it because someone else made it that it tastes much nicer than her own. Of course I replied it's because I'm such a souper cook!

Had a look round garden today and suddenly everything is shooting away. Had a little rain this afternoon so hopefully that will have helped too. Have you managed to get out to do a bit gardening yet?

Take care. Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 am

Dear Chris and Maisi,
just checking in.
Hello to you both, Hello to all.
lots of news, just doing a bit of temping work.
Hope I can be confident and that I can do a good job.
What to take to work in my sandwiches??? Couldn't decide today so just bread and butter.
Maybe should take a cup-a-soup??
Well,
bye for now, glad to hear your new(s).
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 am

Hello to you Maisi and Chris.
hope you are managing o.k. with your health.
I am all aches and pains, will explain all.
I wish I had a butler (Think Bertie Wooster and Jeeves), having said that, Jeeves was always undermining Bertie so maybe not Jeeves. :roll: :lol:
All the very best, must be about my business (ouch),
B
Last edited by betterinrecovery on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Dear Maisi, Chris and all reading here,
I am having some mental health challenges (again), however, I have tried to write on other parts of the Forum.
I am concerned that some peoples posts can't be answered for longer periods of time. We read about peoples difficulties and we 'say' nothing. I suppose not everyone is in a position to offer advice.

Re the cooking- made a pudding yesterday, we have eaten half and I think we should probably freeze the rest.
Trying to eat more fruit and veg, so peas and pizza this evening.
Tried to go for a walk, but like I said, I am all aches and pains just now...managed to walk to the chemist and back.

I am giving myself a gold star for walking to the chemist and back.

I have a bit of a problem causing me stress, so I am going to read the book - 'How to solve almost any problem' by Chris Williams (again) and follow the advice. It is a small CBT book. It cost about £2.00, well worth the investment.

All the best
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Maisi and Chris?
Where are you are you on holiday?
Just dropping in to say 'Hello'.
Best Wishes B

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi you two,

I'm (evidently) having a break from the forum, I'm not feeling like talking here at the moment, but I do like talking with you both, and miss being in that friendly zone.

It's really nice to chat, but it's a public website...I don't know. I sometimes look at the forum, just don't like writing at the moment.

Made a good cake last week.

Sending a lot of love and daydreaming about actually having a coffee,

Maisi

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 am

Dear maisi,
So nice to see you!!!! :D :D
So glad to here the news about the cake!!!
I have to say I do love a slice of cake.
Do you remember the advert for Rollos where the test of love is if you would give your last Rollo?
Well, the test of my love is would I take my cake, cut in into two and then give half to my other half!!! :lol:

until recently that would have been a very big ask, however last week I went out for coffee and a chat, I ate a bit of my cake and asked for the rest to be bagged up for my husband. Wow!
or as the Therapists say Movement!!!!

He (my husband) was really, really surprised: he kept asking if I was sure that I didn't want any.
There...the love of cake!

I can understand how vulnerable we are in this very open space, very like going to Trafalgar Square, getting a mega phone or two and then sitting down to discuss things. :!:

It is best I think to when chatting talk about things in general terms, to use pseudonyms, to change situations around a little (as done in some books) if needed.
But I guess a rest from writing here is good too.
For myself, writing here is therapeutic, particularly as I have many, many, years of suffering from the depressions and a lot of experience of the good, the bad and the down right wickedly cruel at the hands of therapist and para- mental health workers. :roll: , so I like to help where I can.
I also love the warmth of the chats that the 3 of us have (you, me and Chris).

Back to the cake----I have discovered that bitter coffee and a very small piece of very sweet chocolate cake is most rewarding.

Very Best Wishes
B

p.s. here is a thought - I shall make an e-mail account and post it here over the Easter.
just for a few days and them maybe we can keep in touch if you choose not to come back to the forum for any reason. :idea:

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 am

Dear Maisi and Chris,
hope you are both enjoying the lovely weather.
Fish and Chips made by himself yesterday,
More news to come.
No gardening is taking place, but some people (me) have taken to sitting in the garden and drinking tea :roll:
Best wishes
B

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi to you both. :) whether you are participating or just reading. Hope the Easter break is going well and that you are both okish.

I have had a good spell gardening and its looking good and tidy. This weather is causing us to have to water up so we don't lose the new plants. They are just ground cover perennials which will hopefully save money in the future. Seeing the forecast for Wednesday onwards we should not have to bother as thunderstorms and hail are coming this way.

Cooking wise I ordered the Pinch of Nom recipe book that everyone is raving about and have made a few things already. No cake as of yet. I would definitely share it with you if I did b.
Have you seen what they have been making lately. Cheesecakes inside of half a chocolate Easter egg then topped with mini eggs and other horrible stuff. Jealous. Who me??? :mrgreen:

I am 23lb down now though. Coping with it ok at the moment so keeping going while my heads in the right place. No doubt I will have difficult moments.

I hope you managed to solve your problem b. I try to think of its not what happens but how you react to it.
Sending best wishes to you both. Look forward to hearing from you and what you have been up to. Hugs. It's ok to have off days.

X Chris

Return to “The Kitchen”