Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Therapist is leaving

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
helensophie25

Therapist is leaving

Postby helensophie25 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm

I've been seeing my therapist for about 8 months now and she has been helping me SO much. She told me she was pregnant a few months ago and it's now getting to the time when she is going on maternity leave. I've discussed it with her to try and see if it helps but I am so upset about her leaving. I won't be able to see her for months while she is off and although I am happy for her, I'm worried that I'm all alone again. It made me want to cancel my last few sessions because I don't see the point in bringing up new stuff as she won't be there to help me with it, and also I don't want to get upset at my last session as I NEVER cry in therapy. I have moved around therapists a lot and it has taken me so long to find one so lovely who really understands me so I really don't want to switch to a new therapist either. It's starting to affect so much and is playing on my mind all day now.

christabel

Re: Therapist is leaving

Postby christabel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi Helen

We never know what good can be round the next corner. You have been so fortunate having the therapist, one door closes another opens.

Keep positive. Take care. Chris

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Helen

I can see that this is very difficult for you.

Although you have never cried in front of a therapist before. I think it would be good to allow yourself.if the tears are there. YOur therapist will most certainly understand

Deb x

emloja

Postby emloja » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm

I feel for you and a while back was in a similar situation. It is tough when you find a good therapist to then let them go. Don't underestimate how much you have learnt and developed as a result of the therapy. I personally found it too difficult to develop a new relationship with a new therapy- i felt the energy involved was too much. I have however heard of people who learn different things with different therapists.
I would suggest you meet with your therapist one last time though so you can talk about how you are feeling, your worries about coping when she is away, and talk about strategies and make a plan for when she is away. If you have both been working together for a while i think continuing to work together to make a plan would be helpful as she now knows you quite well and so should be able to advise. If you don't feel you can face her could you send her an email- just to give some temporary closure before she has her baby.
Hope that makes sense and so of it is helpful! Good luck!

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 am

Hi helensophie25,

Sorry to hear what you're going through. At the end of the day, the therapist is a human too, with her own life, and we have to accept this. I know it can be distressing moving around so much, but simply do your best with the therapist, since the notes will be passed over x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Mutual Support Group”