Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Need help?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
quynhmy672

Need help?

Postby quynhmy672 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am

I've been wondering whether this is normal or not. I have depression and it gets so much worse when I come on my period. It doesn't matter how well I've been managing my depression leading up to it, as soon as am about to come on I go back to feeling really depressed. The feelings usually only last 2 or 3 days but getting through it feels impossible. I start thinking about things that I wouldn't usually think about anymore - bad things that have happened but that I thought I had got over, but they all come back to me and I can't get the thoughts out of my head. I try to tell myself it's not real, it's just because of the period, but it feels so real and because my thoughts are about real things that have made me sad in the past it's like I revert back to how I was when I wasn't managing my depression as well. Then I start to think about am I not over these things? I don't usually enter my mind on an average, but then they just come back for those 2/3 days a month. I'm getting sick of it. Is this just a normal part of having periods as someone with depression? Or is this something more? And is there anything I can do about it?

capitalt

Re: Need help?

Postby capitalt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:51 am

It's good you recognise this, so are pretty much there with coping.
When we're low the slightest little thing can bring back memories, both good and bad.
Perhaps chat with your GP if you feel you need some help overcoming the returning thoughts.
Good luck.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”