Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How much is mental health and how much is normal?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
deb1960

Re: How much is mental health and how much is normal?

Postby deb1960 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Emma

I have never heard of metta. In a way I am grateful for all I have but I think it's at a knowing level rather than feeling. I do genuinely have a lot to be grateful for. I can be self compassionate but today am struggling. I'm feeling quite anxious and keep telling myself that I should be able to accept how I am and if I was mindful I would.

I'm glad you're more confident at work. Are you feeling well most of the time now? Coping rather than just getting by is fantastic isn't it.

I think the people at the top know when we will close. 100 of the stores have already closed. That leaves about 230. I suspect it'll be by mid August.,

Cassie loves walking but has hip dysplasia which means we can't take her for long walks. She's 11 now and keeps really well given her age and condition. Millie is a lovely name. I have a tendency to lengthen names, ie Cassandra. Millie would be Millicent which sounds a bit posh I suppose.

That's a good idea doing a body scan when you go to bed. I often do it after a bath and I feel all tingly from the hot water.

Btw you don't waffle on. I enjoy reading your posts, dogs and anxiety are shared experiences /pleasures (other way round).

Take care
Deb x

emloja

Postby emloja » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 am

Hi Deb,
How are you?
One of the main things i take from mindfulness is 'being kind to yourself'. When i think back to a time when i had been in counselling and was totally unaware of everything going on in my head, i wrote down a list of my thoughts and worked out that i wouldn't accept these from my enemy, so why do i live with these thoughts every second of the day. I know i am so much kinder to myself- just need to remember and sustain this if things change. I think if struggling you also need to tell yourself it is okay to struggle when you are feeling anxious and that acceptance is harder when anxious. Also watch that word 'should'; i try and ban 'must' and 'should'. I guess it comes back to that inner dialogue we have with ourselves, which i feel i have much less control of when i am not feeling so good.
So, where am i now? I think i am doing pretty good- perhaps i am like a newly qualified driver after a year- i am feeling pretty good and confident but avoid certain areas like roundabouts and motorways- as i worry what would happen if i did go on them. I haven't mastered driving yet. However generally most days are good, i'm still studying and checking back my manuals and driving books, don't know what is around the corner but feeling pretty hopeful. What an analogy! ha ha. Does it make sense? It does in my head!
For me it is to keep in the moment- one day at a time. I am aware that at the moment my general life is very stress free and it is summer- which are positive things for me. I still really worry about "going back" to how i was- either anxiety or depression wise. I am aware i am on the highest strength of meds (but am grateful they are working). I am aware i still avoid things. I hope that i feel better equipped to deal with off days- i do know they are fewer and last for less time. I often feel wobbly. I think my main challenge is still to accept life with mental illness- accept there may be drops and not fear them- as there is definitely fear there.
Cassie is a nice name too. Ha, ha- I go through stages with Millie's name- she has been Mills and Millie-boo. She just makes me smile so much!
Okay, i will let you go now- have a good weekend,
Emma

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:16 am

Emma

I was just sending a post and lost it somehow. I will post later

Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Emma

I was away for a couple of days and today I have my grandsons. Today my shop shuts down. I will post soon. I know you don't mind but I still like to explain myself when I'm absent.

Have a good day
Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Emma

I really like your driving analogy. It fits in perfectly. I think my mental health is like my literal driving these days. Both vary from good to worrying.

But yes I worry about going back to depression or increased anxiety.

My shop closed and Friday was a time of clearing up. I feel really sad about it and keep forgetting I won't have my work to go to in the morning. I will see one or two colleagues through FB or in the passing but it will take some time to get back to normal I think.

Take care
Deb x

emloja

Postby emloja » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am

How is it going? Sorry to hear your shop closed!

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 am

Hi Emma

I'm trying to use mindfulness with a bit of success. Mornings are always my worst bit of the day and i will need to adjust to the. not getting up for work. I still get up early as I I'm an early riser.

How are you doing and how's Millie. I had my daughter's boxer for a few days. He's a big bouny thing. Unfortunately Cassie is a bully when it comes to other dogs regardless of size. One look from her and poor Trigger retreats to the hall.

I think I mentioned that Snuggles the hamster died nearly 2 weeks ago. I was very upset and we buried him under a tree in the garden. He was very sweet but you can't interact with a hamster. And so we are getting a rat, or should I say 2. Because they're social they need to be amongst other rats. It seems that if you handle them a lot they will snuggle up to you.

Take care
Deb x

emloja

Postby emloja » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am

Have you ever tried Thai Chi- i am just thinking about the difficulties you said you are having in the morning- there is a great thai chi guy on youtube who does a ten minute wake up (as well as others) routine- which i love. I like thai chi because to me in could be part of mindfulness- it enables you to focus in the moment and has a massive focus on breathing and movement. I sometimes find it helpful to do when meditation is hard as i can do it while moving. Let me know if it sounds something you might be interested in and i will find the link.
Millie is great but struggling a bit in the heat- just likes to lie on her cooling mat. I try to get out early and late to walk her. Boxers are lovely- we had a puppy at training and she was so gangly and uncoordinated. Millie loves everyone- which can also be a problem!
Cool that you are getting a rat- i thought about it once- before i got my dog. My uncle used to have rats when he was a kid and taught them all sorts of tricks- they are supposed to be very clever! I wonder how Cassie will take to them!
I am off on a retreat next week- mindfulness one- which i discovered two years ago and absolutely love- cannot wait!
How's your new routine developing? Have you got the rats yet?
Emma

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:56 am

Hi Emma

Have a lovely retreat. I'm sure you will.

We're hoping to go away overnight one day next week so no rats yet. RatS because they are social animals and need company. Cassie used to squirm if we put Snuggles on her.. It was as if she thought, ugh, take it away.. I think she'll be the same with rats. Of course we'll be very careful at first as we were with Snuggles.

Our lovely weather has gone although Cassie managed with the heat with no problem whereas Trigger the boxer struggled. Millie has a cool mat you said. Is this a special type of mat. I'm glad she has all the comfort she needs.

I haven't got myself into a routine yet and although I'm managing I'm aware I need to sort myself out.

I'd like to try the tai chi so that link would be useful please

Enjoy your retreat
Deb x

emloja

Postby emloja » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi
Oh the cold has come to us now! Ha ha when i say cold i mean 17 degrees- had to find my boots to put on today as a result of the rain.
The Qi Gong (which is a type of thai chi) can be found if you google- Morning Qi Gong 10 min Exercise- by a guy called Lee Holden. He also has a 20 min morning one and a ten min evening exercise too. Let me know what you think?
I am generally doing well at the moment- which i am loving- funny enough though i do start to feel a bit low and anxious a few days before that time of the month. It is funny as i never noticed this before but now i am generally well- i have now felt a bit of a noticeable dip and some anxiety- i then start to panic before noticing the timing. I still haven't reduced my meds yet- this is the third month of the highest level- but i would say i am almost fully stable. I guess i need to remember about these brief dips when i go to the docs- incase it is important. I get hormones have an impact on everything too.
Anyways hows your mood etc? Have you had your time away yet?
Emma

Return to “Mutual Support Group”