Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Understanding depression- communicating

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
am

Understanding depression- communicating

Postby am » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 am

I love my family and have great friends but I don’t feel they understand what I go through and just how hard it is to lift the” fog”.
I have suffered two traumatic events in my life both where I was seriously injured . I am a strong person resilient in the face of what has happened but I am afraid that the “brave face “ I put on to let others see I was coping and recovering has meant that they don’t realise when I am not coping. I thought I was good at communicating with everyone about my mental health , I talk openely and honestly about how I feel when I am not in one of my depressive episodes and I can communicate yet when I am in the “fog “as I call it I feel very alone. My dad in particular seems to be dismissive and no one seems to realise that even just a phone call or a text when they haven’t heard from me would mean a lot. My sister in law calls it “hibernation” she knows I have a tendency to isolate myself and shut down yet again we only seem to discuss it after the fact or weeks later.
I don’t think that everyone’s is aware they aren’t very supportive , I guess my depression amplifies my negative thoughts and feelings possibly to the point where I do feel isolated when I can reach out, but on days like today where I am struggling to even lift the phone a random call or text would be good. I’m really not as strong as they all think !

christabel

Re: Understanding depression- communicating

Postby christabel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi am

It is difficult for others to comprehend what we go through especially if they have not experienced it themselves. Try not to take it personally.

Be kind to yourself and I hope things improve soon.

Take care. Chris

self-compassion

Re: Understanding depression- communicating

Postby self-compassion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 pm

I know exactly how you feel. people call it hibernation or being dramatic. for us it is something we cannot control.

I always try to teach myself that only you can give yourself the compassion you need in times whereto are depressed, anxious and sad. You need to let whatever it is out whether it is with us , the people who love you , anyone. Be compassionate towards yourself. only you can heal the wounds.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”