Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hoarding

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
aldertree

Hoarding

Postby aldertree » Wed May 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Hiya All,

I don't know if this is the right board bit but please tell me if it's not! Hoarding is a problem for me and has been for many years. i have not recognised it in the past but moving and working with support workers helped me to see it is a problem. At the moment there are about six boxes, a third of a wardrobe, a pile of paperwork and some floor space I would like to sort through. It is a cause of stress and anxiety for me as I can be afraid of letting anyone in my home ( though I still do so but not very often). Living in a small flat means I would now like do more about this , so there's space for me!

capitalt

Re: Hoarding

Postby capitalt » Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Some organisations such as MIND run hoarding support groups.
They suggest sorting into three categories, keep, not sure and dispose.
If not sure are kept for to long then dispose.
Another trick is not to bring in more than you take out.
I suffer similarly and it can be difficult to dispose.

Hope this helps.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm

Dear Aldertree,
Thank you for starting this new thread. Thank you for being proactive. I am glad you have done this,
I have read your posts in 'the kitchen', I like to think a bit before making a detailed reply.
I do know this, with time and if we are kind to ourselves, we can modify our behaviour.

We didn't become hoarders over night - something happened to us, some trauma, some event, some illness, some relationship break down, some bereavement, some rejection whatever..

something happened.
But we will be o.k. we will deal with things as best as we can.

B
will just leave you a note on the other thread.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Also, Hello to you
Capitalt
we are brave, not so? We are talking about a difficult issue.
B

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi aldertree,

Sorry to hear how you're feeling - I used to be a hoarder as well, so I can definitely relate.

Something that seems to help a lot is to take an inventory of everything you own (this might take a while, but it's worth it!) and then go through and check each item to see if you realistically need it at the moment. Then, like capitalt said, organise them into piles, although I'd name them differently - keep, remove. You keep the things you really need. You sell, give away to friends/family, donate, or then bin (in that order) anything in the remove pile. It can be tedious to do this, but it's definitely worth doing if it improves your mental wellbeing!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

freckles1

Postby freckles1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 am

Hello. My mum was a hoarder, due to decades of emotional abuse as an adult and physical abuse as a child. It helped her the most if a trusted friend or family member helped her slowly sort through things.

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:19 am

It's sure is a difficult issue and may stem from other issues, as has already been mentioned, mine came up during and after the help I got, which in some ways was good, but in others highlighted many of my other failings, which have been so hard to accept and live with.
See my other posts.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am

Dear Capitalt,
will look at your other posts.
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am

Hello, to all on this tread,

I have just been sorting through knitting wool - more than I could get through in 2 years I think!
Unfortunately, I am doing it on my own, but not really on my own as I come here to the forum.

Right now I have a bag of clothes for the charity shop, a couple of bags of oddments for the bin.
I think I will have to sort out a bag of wool for the knitting project that I belong to.
Faux fur -- to the charity shop! I was never a fan of it :?

EBAY
I did buy a blanket on ebay once but I have never sold a anything on ebay. I did have a look on ebay and I was surprised at the things people were selling.
I have some new never worn clothes, that were given to me or that I bought on a poorly day.
so it will be exciting to see how this works.

Grit.
I think it takes a bit of grit to get rid of stuff.

Trying to feel proud of what I have done so far.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

The other thing I need to do is consider the reasons why I bought certain things as that could help me get to the root of my difficulties.
e.g.
I have some very pretty occasional dresses. A bright pink ball gown. Fabric for making curtains and curtains. material for sewing.
Some of the things purchased were because of hopes and dreams rather than reality.
maybe it is escapism from reality.
I think this is work for the therapy space.
B

Return to “Mutual Support Group”