Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

The Favourite Book, Book Club in the Kitchen

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

The Favourite Book, Book Club in the Kitchen

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 24, 2018 10:56 pm

I think this can work, a book club in the kitchen.
A cup of tea and a chat about a favourite book, not necessarily one directly about mental health.
I am thinking more about books I read a girl - or that I wish I had read.

Like the Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

It is available as a talking book on You-Tube.
And of course there are a few film adaptations too.

When I am low I can put on a talking book and curl up and listen - also helps me get off to sleep.

Do you think the- The Favourite Book, Book Club in the Kitchen- is a good idea?
B

Isap

Re: The Favourite Book, Book Club in the Kitchen

Postby Isap » Fri May 25, 2018 2:47 am

I think this is a stupid idea

Some of us don't even have a kitchen, let alone capable of reading anything. I don't even have a book. Except a JW version of the Bible.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you appear to have little concern for the majority of members here who are really struggling. You refer to GPs as quacks and can afford to go private. I don't even know what's wrong with you but then again I usually ignore your posts.

I don't know what you're doing here.

Have you tried Elefriends?

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Fri May 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Better

I like the idea but don't get as much time to read as I would like.
Personally I like seeing your posts.

ATTMP

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi B

I have just started a book based on my local area which is interesting. A novel but informative.
Know I am heading for a better spell when I can concentrate enough to read.
Like to hear people's recommendations and interests.

Take care and keep up the good work.
X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 am

Dear Chris and ATTMP,

I am glad you like my posts, as this is a open and public forum I have to try not to over -share.
I can say that I mostly listen to talking books now-a-days and radio plays.
- I have an audible subscription - though there are free talking book sites and of course Youtube.

I do enjoy writing here and I am getting up the courage to write a bolgg - I down loaded the guidelines for how to write a blog from the MIND.org web site.

I was in london the other day - at Victoria, and there was a garden seat decorated with flowers, people could have thier picture takenby the flowers (on their own camera) , by a member of staff.
I got some really nice photo portraits that looked like I had been to RHS Chelsea!
The only down side was that I got some adds directed to my phone, but I just deleted them.

So with that experience in mind, I am still thinking of Mary Lenox in the Secret Garden who was, in the story, abondoned by her parents when they were alive (they were socialites in India) - she was looked after by her Aya
and then again when they died in a cholera outbreak. She is sent home from India to Yorkshire - to her uncle's mansion.

I don't think that it is surprising that abandonment in childhood can lead to depression in adulthood.

Well, that's me, it is after midnight so I shall seek out my hot water bottle and to to sleep

Best wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun May 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Dear Chris,
Hi!
its a bit hard to ask more about your book as it might mean disclosures you would rather not make.
But I am glad you are enjoying it.

I have found system I call dipping and listening ---so I can read a bit of a book ---just a few paragraphs and listen to a bit on tape, cd, or on the internet.

Amazon has this thing calld wisper- sync, where you can buy the Kindle version of the book and also the talking book version and the two keep in sync with each other.
so, and I haven't tried it yet, I can read a bit of Middle March by George Elliott (very long and winding but enjoyble) and then I can listen to a bit of it on Audible.,
if I chose to I could then watch a bit ofd the DVD of it too.
Amazing what?

The Library has loads of these talking books for rent, though, they have been selling them off of late.

Its damp here, in this part of the world and chilly,
so will get a cup of tea now,
with very best wishes
till later
B

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi b

I sometimes listen to books on the internet. It is very soothing. I also like plays/dramas on the radio which you can find on the net. I haven't done this for a while so it has brought it to mind and I might give it a go tonight. Instead of radio 4.

I really love it when a book is so good that you don't want to put it down. I am having trouble with memory at the mo. I can't bring any book titles to mind that I've read and enjoyed. I will have to try and have a think when I'm not so tired.

We have had a lovely day here weather wise so I've managed some gardening and with being up since 4.30am feeling tired. Hope for better night tonight.
Take care. X Chris

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 am

Inappropriate was the word I was looking for and I think the silent majority prevailed. This forum just doesn't have enough active members to sustain such a project.

This forum is in a bad way. Recently we have lost most of our regular posters. I don't know why. People in great distress are getting one line replies if lucky. I try my best but am usually not up to the task, especially when the content is so grim, as others have also pointed out.

The primary purpose of this forum is to give and receive support. The level of support is the worst I have ever seen in over three years and very few newbies hang around long.

If someone wants to start a book club, why not do it in your own neighborhood and meet real people. Unless it is for useful self help mental health books, but we have been doing that informally here for a while.

If you want to talk about gardening, join a gardening forum. Same with cooking.
We need people who are relatively strong and well to support those who aren't. Theseろ extramural topics dont really support nobody.

I hope you all get my point.

I was unduly harsh on betterinrecovery andす apologize for hurting her feelings. I offer no excuses and ask for forgiveness. I bear no grudges against anyone.

I recommend Winnie the Pooh.ろ

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue May 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi b

Hope you are ok as I see you haven't been posting for a few days.

Look forward to hearing more soon. Take care. X

Chris

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi BIR

My favourite book isn't for everyone. Slaughterhouse 5 is a pitch black tragi-comedy about war.

More fun reading is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Good stories, remarkably funny and thought provoking with some bleak moments but the good guys always win in the end.

Return to “The Kitchen”