Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Visual Illusions?

Ask, explore, query, share
amberametheyst

Visual Illusions?

Postby amberametheyst » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am

Morning All,

I am writing a query to see if anyone else has experience of this. I suffer from Chronic PTSD and Severe Anxiety - generally they are manageable through diet and exercise for me. I recently had to leave my job due to poor support from work with regards to my mental health and more specifically too much work and no help. Anyhoo onto my question - I have recently experienced a flare up of my symptoms from leaving the job (hello anxiety) and also being told that my local Intensive Psychological Services wouldn't offer me support for my conditions as I am currently undergoing a long-winded and horrifically draining prosecution against the people that caused my CPTSD.

So back to the question - I suffer from Visual illusions when my CPTSD is acting up as it has been recently. I generally rate the severity of my conditions 6 is a 'normal' for me - I'm currently at about 8 which is tough but I can function and 10 is 'crisis' mode when I can't even leave the house due to fear.

Does anyone else get them? I find them exhausting - I have to constantly check that what I 'think' I have just seen isn't really there. I have suffered hallucinations in the past when withdrawing from alcohol dependency (I am now recovered) and there is a clear difference. If my symptoms are spiking then I get auditory illusions as well.

A good example of what this can be like is that on Sunday myself and my partner went out for a drive and a walk down in Surrey with our three woofers and on the way home I 'saw' our 50kg GERMAN SHEPHERD snuggled down under the accelerator of the van while my partner was driving - that was a new one on me.

I guess what I wanted to know was does anyone else experience this?

Time to get back to studying and hello all :)

amberametheyst

Re: Visual Illusions?

Postby amberametheyst » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Well today after a very stressful morning getting all my stuff at 6am from my old job and then my bike - four train trips and six hours later I went to visit a friend to give her a birthday cake I baked for her and whilst there her eyes and her baby's eyes started to go 'wierd' due to the illusions.

This is soo hard to cope with. :roll: :roll: :roll:

:'(

ivy

Re: Visual Illusions?

Postby ivy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:09 am

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear about what you’re going through/been through. But well done for taking it to prosecution , that’s really brave!

I suffer with anxiety/panic attacks, I’m finally getting better and amback at work. But one of my anxiety things is visual disturbances. So if I start feeling funny and anxcious I can see flickering lights which arnt there, shadows which arnt there or I see distorted things like I was quite scared of my neighbours (they bang around and arealways going in out of the front door to their flat, and that reminds of me domestic abuse, so I look out the peep hole of my door and I though I saw my neighbour standing there with a chain saw. I ran away and got into bed because it really scared me. I later realised she was standing there with some kind of car hoover because she then went outside and hoovered her car.

I have been to the opticians many times and the doctors and they’ve both said it’s my imagination, and it could also be to do with migraines. And one optician said he sees black bar codes in his vision sometimes.

I also think it’s like when you’re scared there’s a ghost in the house you start to hear spooky noises and you might even see what you think is a ghost, but it’s not really there. And I think because the brain goes into “scan for danger mode” it sees a shape and immediately tells you “omg there’s a snake” or something like that.

When you’re relaxed they should stop or calm down a little bit. I only really see things when I’m having anxiety.

Some times it’s scary but I try and laugh it off :) as that helps me cope.

I hope that helps :) and good luck with the prosecution and I wish you all the best !

Ivy

Return to “Information Exchange”