Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

ADD/ADHD symptoms and experiences.

Ask, explore, query, share
capitalt

ADD/ADHD symptoms and experiences.

Postby capitalt » Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 am

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of ADD/ADHD, what symptoms showed, how it was diagnosed, how it was treated, age, what to say to your doctor, etc.

I feel I've endured this for many years and not realised, for sure I've a lot of lack of self control, frustration, disorganised, short temper, etc.

Thank you in advance

lee

Re: ADD/ADHD symptoms and experiences.

Postby lee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi, your post has interested me.

I'm diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and suffer from depression. I am at present going through being tested for ADD/ADHD, I have been referred for diagnosis by my GP although I score highly on all online tests and my eldest son also has it so it does look highly probable. I'm just awaiting an appointment date.

I too have done some real soul searching and revisiting moments in my life and like you, it seems I've had this all my life. I'm 51 and ADD/ADHD didn't seem to exist in my youth, nobody had it so how was I supposed to know otherwise? I've gone my whole life without a lack of self control, so easily led and my emotions defy all logic and lead me to do unforgivably rash things. I quit a perfectly good job as my emotions took over that I was being treated badly, when I wasn't (well some of the times I was), now I feel like I don't belong as I don't think properly so how can I survive in the modern working world when I'm scared and not that innovative?

I'm totally disorganised, always lose keys and bank cards, lock myself out and drive myself mad with frustration and worry, I'm scared of my own company. I do get moody, I have so many thoughts darting in and out of my head, I'm always on alert, feel displaced in groups, sleep terribly, find it hard to motivate myself doing difficult tasks. My brain drifts of and I end up doing several other things instead. This is without my feeling of doom every day, where I spend all day alone, mentally beating myself up 24/7 and knowing I've let my family down. Life is hell, I so hope this diagnosis helps, I don't know what else to do

I basically told my GP the above, underwent a mental health triage and then referred for diagnosis, which is at the point I'm at

I know this may seem rambling but I hope some of it may help you and how you feel. You're not alone, I thought I was alone feeling the way I did without knowing why? I really hope this soon may change before it's too late

I hope you are feeling well today

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

Sounds so familiar, seems I've done all of what you have and been trying to cope alone, making such a mess of everything.
I did mention it to my GP, who agreed I have ADD traits, but he doesn't know the whole story.
Not sure what to do now, just NOT coping.
Thanks

lee

Postby lee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 am

Hey, I completely understand how you feel. For 50 years i've crashed through life without any thought, I thought I was okay, just a bit eccentric however, this week has been a massive revelation for me, I'm looking back for the first time and seeing the depth of my problems and how it impacts others and boy have I let them down.

I know it's really difficult but I would urge you to tell your GP the full story, only then will he be able to understand the depth of your problems and what help you need, please do not continue to go on without talking or trying to cope alone. It didn't do me any good and it still isn't because i'm only just starting to open up a bit to my wife, that is hard in itself as I don't want her to think she's married to some pathetic loser, which is exactly how I feel. I'm scared I'll lose her due to my rash decisions. I seriously need to address things and change and I really hope you take that option too.

It's hard, it doesn't change my present situation however, I can't let this go on anymore and I really hope you take the same route, or a route that works for you but please don't try and do this alone.

I'm not coping, I don't know what to do so you are not alone. I know that doesn't help but I truly understand how you feel.

scottishlad32

Postby scottishlad32 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi , I'm so glad I found this !!!

I've been reading the previous comments and what you guys described was my life in a nutshell. I'm 32, never been diagnosed with ADHD, but also like you, looked back on my life and just realized it's always been there, I always just seen it as my personally.

The erratic behaviour, far too impulsive, no self control. Always on the go, can't settle. I've been wanting to speak to my doctor but I'm very hesitant about calling for some reason. After researching the condition I've read there are a number of other complications that can come with it, mainly depression and substance use/abuse, of which I am battling both. I too am looking to start the process of hopefully getting this confirmed.

Thanks

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Everything soundsall to familiar.
I can be fine then flip and get angry and lash out, once hearing a voice to tell me to do it.
I think I now realise others have been trying to help but I've not understood, not been smart enough to ask for clarification or examples, not being able to pull things together for myself, then go off in my own stubborn way.
I need things to be demonstrated, or put in terms I can understand, otherwise I'm hopeless.
Where I have had this done I'm amazing, though can get over confident in my own capabilities.
I've always has a concentration problem, unless I can get totally I merged in something.
I'm seeing my GP next week for a chat.
Hope you all haven't made as much of a mess of your lives as I have.
Hope, finances, future, etc are all a total shambles, and have been for ages, not realising how bad everything g had got.

Return to “Information Exchange”