Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Medication query

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
lottie274

Medication query

Postby lottie274 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:11 am

I am currently on 20mg fluoxetine and I'm wondering if anyone else takes a higher dose as I don't think it's working at the moment so I was going to ask about going up to 40mg. I had some side effects when I started taking it and I don't want to get these again.
I was ok at new year but I feel like I'm slipping back into crisis and I don't know what to do. I've had so much counselling and it hasn't really helped. I can't explain it properly to my husband so I just don't say anything but I know he's concerned.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

c.j.

Re: Medication query

Postby c.j. » Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello. Your GP may suggest the same does for a different type of medication? Do you have plans how to alleviate the depression? What has your counsellor been suggesting to do?

lottie274

Postby lottie274 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am

I was never given any really helpful advice to be honest. Just distraction techniques which work for a little bit. I don't want to take more medication but I don't know what else will help. I can't be like this, I have a 4 year old daughter to look after which I'm struggling with. I am in contact with my local childrens centre but again they can only give so much help. I realise I have to help myself ultimately so I'm reluctant to contact anyone as they all keep saying the same thing. Sorry to go on, it's nice to know other people understand my feelings on here.

sunchyme

Postby sunchyme » Tue May 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Lottie :)

I was on Fluoxetine a few years back and I'm pretty sure in the end I was on 60 mg, which I think is the maximum dose. Some people need higher doses, some people need different medication. Unfortunately, all you can do is try and try again until you find something that suits you.

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Tue May 29, 2018 2:17 pm

I know it's tough, so I feel for you.
Do you have any idea what's causing your depression, or is it just a little of everything, which may often be the case ?
Perhaps talk with your husband and try to identify major impacts to see if you can work on these together, priorities, etc.
Good luck.

lottie274

Postby lottie274 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Thank you for the replies. Can I ask about the side effects you got from taking 60mg of fluoxetine? I'm very reluctant to take any more, I didn't want any tablets in the first place but when talking therapies all failed I realised they were the only option. It's very hard for me to talk to my husband about my emotional state as I can't put my feelings into words. They don't really make any sense to me so how do I explain them to someone else? I seem to be ok for a bit then get worse gradually until I hit rock bottom then get a bit better again. This happens every few months. I know it's happening and I try so hard to distract myself from it for as long as possible but I can't stop the eventual crash. My husband has been through so much in his life already and I have ruined it a bit further with my problems, not that he would agree with this. As there is no real cause of my feeling this way I just don't know what to do next.

Return to “Safe Room”