Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Dealing with sons depression

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
macca21

Dealing with sons depression

Postby macca21 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi everyone , Im really struggling at the moment and just dont know where to turn . My 18 year old son has been dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts for the last 8 months , not very well though to be honest. Long story short , CAHMS were involved when he tried to end his life and basically messed him around with non exsistant counselling sessions upto his 18th birthday and he was given a piece of paper with adult services contact numbers on .. the hardest part of his depression is talking about it so he just doesnt. He has been on medication for about 6 months , even though he insists it doesnt work . He still has suicidal thoughts and often just goes and police usually locate him at a local bridge . he was working for 3 weeks but then got laid off . thing is im really struggling to help him as he just refuses any help from anyone . I get so angry some times as its effecting all our lives and im trying to be a mum a partner run a home , work and also deal with some devasting health news about my parent . My life is just a mess and I feel such a failure as a mum . Sorry for the long ranting first post xxx

rsxo

Re: Dealing with sons depression

Postby rsxo » Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi macca21,

Sorry to hear about your situation - it's so tough to see your child struggling through something like this, and even more so knowing that there isn't much you can do. I'd love to come up with lots of ways you can help, but to be honest, the best you can do is be there for him and show him that you care for him. Until he's willing to accept help, there's not much that can be done - once he realises this and accepts help, all sorts of avenues open up - counselling, therapy, improved diet and exercise programs, meditation, yoga etc.

Much love <3
RSxo <3

macca21

Postby macca21 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Thank you for your reply x sometimes i get so frustrated with him and lose it, then i hate myself because i know he, s ill. I just pray for the day he accepts the help, just to see him happy xx thanks again

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Macca,
Sounds very tough for you, getting caught between Childrens and Adult services is not a helpful situation, I believe there are moves afoot to make that transition seamless.
Have you contacted your local MIND ? they may be able to offer you both support, or know what else is available in your area.
Like so many things, until we recognise we have problems we're unwilling to look for and/or accept help, though the sooner that happens the better it may be for all.
When we're young we can find it hard to accept what we're being told, for some that can pass into adulthood, unfortunately I don't know the answer as to how to get around that.
Perhaps there's someone he confides in that you could talk with to try and get their help.

Good luck.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”