Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Jungle Gym -my garden

Being outdoors...
betterinrecovery

Jungle Gym -my garden

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi!
I shall not be long on the forum as I am gong to use my own, personal gym!
it is my garden.
things are not looking pretty out there.
I think I need the exercise.
I am overweight and I am tired of being fat shamed and advised by people who do not know me.
Well, I will explain all, but will get out there now while the weather is good enough.
B

betterinrecovery

Re: Jungle Gym -my garden

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Well,
I have been to my local supermarket, they were selling off French Marigolds that had seen better days for 10 p a tray, so of course I had to have some of those and brought 5 trays home on the bus... in a laundry basket. Yes I am the mad woman at the end of the street.
I have given them a good soak and I shall plant them out later.

my neighbour left me a few corrugated iron buckets when she moved house, I have filled them with stones for drainage, then compost and I will put the marigolds in there. I hope they will make a nice display eventually

I am more in to growing veg. last year the cats next door - giant things they are, dug up my veg plot and used it for their own convenience. That was a shame as I usually get a good crop of runner beans and courgettes... last year nada.

This year I am cat proofing the garden. I am using tea- tree oil and chilli oil to mark the corners of the garden. The scent discourages the cats.
the cats are beautiful, it is just that I really, really don't want to waste money and time on veg seeds if they are going to dig them up...and then make the garden smell.

To deal with the slugs I am putting a ring of Vaseline around the lip of my plastic containers and to deal with the pigeon I am making a mobile from old dvds cds and garden wire. I am using my old tights to tie up the apple tree which got a bit top heavy last year.

I am feeling pretty rough at the moment, so the garden business is keeping me going- otherwise I would be curled up in bed.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Re the exercise -
yesterday I dug over the veg patch and divided it into two. I have heavy clay soil so that took some doing. once again I shall be planting potatoes in the heavy soil and then runner beans, peas and French beans to increase the fertility of the soil
Sunflowers of course to bring cheer.
I cut the grass too, so I really got a work out.

if you have any tips for keeping cats off the garden, I would love to hear about them.
with thanks
B

c.j.

Postby c.j. » Thu May 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I had to net over the corner of my garden to stop the cats going into next door's garden. Throwing balls at them didn't work too well so resorted to netting instead.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am

Dear c.j.
I think I will try the netting idea, I have some chicken wire, that will have to do.

some suggest spraying water...but well I don't want to fall out with my neighbours what will they think if they see me aiming water at their dear cats?

I am mixing up a batch of chilli and oil today...I keep it in old ketchup bottles....and will dab the oil on the corners of the fence round the garden.

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm

We have had some success using mothballs to deter the cats, especially the new kitten next door. They don't like the smell.

My goodness you have made a lot of progress in your garden. Well done. Keep us informed. :) x Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun May 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your message
I have aquired one of those plastic, green houses, one big enough to walk into. Himself helped me put it up last week - it reminds me a bit of a wendy house. Do you remember the plastic Wendy houses from the 70's? I dearly wanted one, but I made do with the shed as a play house, before it was turned into an avery --long story.
I have got the corgette seeds and spinach seeds at the ready. if I have a minute they can go in today.
I hope I can do it, I am having real trouble with my meds e.t.c. shiverring just now and wearing my coat indoors for this reason.

Where does one get moth balls nowadays? Are you growing veg or flowers?
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am

Hello to people reading this thread!
I am basically writing to keep on track with the garden just now.

I am not having a good time of things on the mental health front.
Changes in meds mean that my memory is affected and I also find it hard to make judgements about distances, heights, and I feel like I have vertigo ..all...of...the...time...
I hope that these effects will ware off soon.

I think the changes in the medication could lead to and accident..It took me ages to cross the road this morning...I could not judge the speed of the traffic.
I wonder what would happen if I had an accident ? Who would look after me?
I am trying to avoid this so I will be extra careful in the garden (no lighting of fires or anything like that).
It is late in the season, but I will sew some tomato seeds...I may just get green tomatoes at the end but then I can make chutney with them.

CBT courses teach the breaking of things into managable chunks ...so manageable will be to dig over the compost pile a bit and then have a rest and a decaff tea.
Also time to put down the chilli oil in the garden again.

B

christabel

Postby christabel » Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Sorry I could not get back soon b. For some reason I get block from this site for a few days. Very frustrating.

We got mothballs from Wilkinsons or Wilko as it is sometimes known as if you are in UK.

Hope you are feeling a bit better. Horrible when meds make you like that. Take care and look forward to your posts when you feel up to it.
X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes we have a Wilko here.
I need to go there for a garden fork so will put Moth Balls on the list too.

it is mental health awareness week here. I went to a free crative writing session that was put on to mark it at the local library.
I was the only participant.

i was given a series pictures and asked to comment on it. The picture was very dark - like something out of 1984 (Orwell), it was black and white.
The pictures seemed actually sinister... A man in a hotel with a woman, bottles of spirits and Well, I was really worried as it seem like this librarian, who did not introduce herself was trying to get me to do word association. I wish I had brought a copy away with me. What ever next!!

if I didn't have a swimming head (from the meds) and if I was more confident I would have asked her what her game was. What I did say was that I didn't feel comfortable with the exercise and I asked her what outcome she expected from the exercise.
We have to be so careful of these people. A librarian trying to play at psychoanalysis.

We must all look after ourselves and not give our personal power away, I will be finding out who this person is.

These people are toads.

There - a bit of unfortunate news.
B

Return to “The Garden”