Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

I hate that mental illness is invisible!

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
irisj

I hate that mental illness is invisible!

Postby irisj » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 am

Because I am not gushing blood, because there is no lump to point to that proves there is something wrong with me, people disregard whatever is wrong with me and it is infuriating.

The mental health professionals that I have dealt with over the past few days have told me that they believe nothing is wrong and that I am lying about my symptoms. There is no way to prove to them that their assertion is untrue.

What this means in the long run is that I have absolutely no access whatsoever to mental health services. None. None at all.

Talking to people about it is like screaming into a void. It is unbearable.

betterinrecovery

Re: I hate that mental illness is invisible!

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

Dear IrisJ
I think I know what you mean.
my short answer is, try your local chapter of Mind. Ask for a one off appointment with a counsellor or support worker: Most Mind chapters and indeed other mental health charities offer this.

Then ask for the charity and the counsellor to contact your GP on your behalf. they will usually do this by letter as well as on the phone.

This will more than likely ensure that you get some help.
Otherwise, I think you should consider changing your GP, this is because many GP surgeries now offer talking therapies under the iapt Increased access to psychological therapies scheme.
if yours does not, then they are shamefully out of date.

wishing you well
B

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 pm

May be worth googling IAPTS for your local area and see if you can self refer.
My area offers a telephone assessment, local services, and/or onward referrals.

I also agree that MIND is a good idea, they tend to know what services and support is available and how to access it, also may be able to offer something themselves.

Good luck.

jaycee

Postby jaycee » Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I've managed to get referred to my local IAPTS and have been recommended to an online course.
They did mention there's a long queue so I'm still waiting for the access to be made available.

dlj223

Postby dlj223 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm

I know how you feel. I feel like people think I'm attention seeking all the time but I genuinely am in pain.

Return to “Rant Room”