The Highly Sensitive Person

Ask, explore, query, share
bpdsurvivor

The Highly Sensitive Person

Postby bpdsurvivor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:48 pm

:) Hi again
Can I also recommend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emotionally-Se ... l_huc_item

I haven't read this book, but it sounds good. There are a few books out there about highly sensitive folk. I find this approach much more validating. I've been treated very badly by so called health professionals.

All the best
BPD survivor

deb1960

Re: The Highly Sensitive Person

Postby deb1960 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks. will take a look

Deb x

mihaela

Re: The Highly Sensitive Person

Postby mihaela » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 pm

The 'highly sensitive person' was a term created by Elaine Aron in 1992. It covers emotional and physical sensitivities - which often go together - and she classes about 20% of the population as HSPs. Her work needs to be understood by all health professionals, but very few have heard of her, and many who have don't take emotional sensititvity seriously enough. Sensitivity is a spectrum that includes within it all people - from the least to the most sensitive.

One theory of autism that has recently gained ground is the Intense World Theory, and I find it the most consistent and logical (although alone it cannot explain everything). It's a pity that this theory was derived from animal experiments - effects of valproic acid on the brain. As an HSP myself, this kind of thing sickens me. I'm highly sensitive in many areas, and see the world 'intensely'. I can't imagine anyone on the autism spectrum not being highly sensitive, and of that 20%, up to 20% of those will have autism. The commonest misdiagnosis in women with autism is probably BPD/EUPD - which used to be called 'female hysteria'. I suspect that maybe half of those diagnosed with this actually have the female presentation of Asperger's/HFA.

I too was misdiagnosed - but with schizotypal-avoidant PD - which I knew from the beginning never made any sense. When unsure far too many professionals are unwilling to admit it, so they make up something that, to them, best fits the condition. Too much guesswork goes on in psychiatry. If untrained in autism, especially in females (as most still are) they don't even consider it as a possibility.

bpdsurvivor wrote:I haven't read this book, but it sounds good. There are a few books out there about highly sensitive folk. I find this approach much more validating. I've been treated very badly by so called health professionals.

So was I, for years, and I know exactly how you feel. At last they've admitted that they've made serious errors and say that I'm owed an apology - which will happen. That's the very least I expect of them.

It's just a shame that it needed a serious crisis to shake them into admission.

Return to “Information Exchange”