Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Coroners Inquest

Ask, explore, query, share
ananda

Coroners Inquest

Postby ananda » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Hello

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, so apologies if it isn't. My cousins son, who I was also a carer for, had committed suicide last year and there is going to be a coroners inquest into his death. He was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and was in semi supportive care at the time, the family and I feel his death was preventable as there were lapse's in the quality off care he received.
Just wandering if anyone here has been thru a Coroners inquest? if so what was involved? did you have a barrister?

Any help regarding this would be greatfully received.

Regards

Rohan

alexp1

Re: Coroners Inquest

Postby alexp1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cousins son, sounds truly awful.
I can't comment on any legal action but maybe it would be better if you put your energy towards something more positive like joining an anti psychiatry movement and exposing psychiatry's failures. Mental illness is on the increase, they have no biological test for any mental illness, no cure and then shocking cases like your cousins son I find indefensible.

Also you could try contacting "The Citizens Commission on Human Rights" (CCHR). Its mission is to "eradicate abuses committed by psychiatry". They were founded by the church of scientology (which I disagree with) but this shouldn't stop you from seeking advice. Good Luck

ananda

Postby ananda » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Alexp1, will look into those organisations

emptyvessel

Postby emptyvessel » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Hi Ananda,

I’m sorry for your loss and hope that this post may still be of use.

While I haven’t attended coroner’s court for a relative’s death, I was called as a witness after a friend’s death. It was slightly different in that the cause of death was pneumonia following serious traumatic brain injury but the process will be similar.

The coroner court aims to act as a fact-finding process to determine the events leading up to the death rather than attribution of cause/responsibility. This doesn’t mean that there won’t be barristers there (I had an attempt at cross-examination by a barrister representing the alleged driver of the vehicle that ran her over - but when you see a car coming at you at 50-60mph in a built-up area with a 30mph limit, you don’t remember much apart from running for your life) but I don’t think that barristers are considered to be an essential part of the process.

If your relative had a mental health advocate, they may be a suitable witness since they will be independent of the NHS trust(s) in question. Some mental health charities eg Mind or Rethink may be able to offer legal advice .

I hope that the inquest helps bring you and your cousin some answers, even if they can’t bring your loved one back.

ananda

Postby ananda » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi Emptyvessel

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been away. Im sorry to hear what you had to go thru being a witness. Thanks for sharing your experience its good to know. I will try those organisations you have mentioned.

Thankyou :-)

Ananda

Return to “Information Exchange”