Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How are things progressing Isap

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
bluebell123

Re: How are things progressing Isap

Postby bluebell123 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:20 am

Than k you Chris, not sure really what word i used. There is also the problem of papitations and chest pain due to anxiety. Whenever that starts the rest of the day is a right off. He prescribed me a low dose of quetiapine, but i told him i had only had 50% relief of symtoms so will see gp about that too. Thanks for getting back to me so promptly, hoping you have as restful a day as is possible, Aisling.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for your post.

I'm going make an appt to see the Dr. to discuss my meds. Ideally I would have a consultation with the psychiatrist but that won't happen. I'm not sure if my doctor can write to the psychiatrist.

If my pregabalin has pooped then I would have thought that eventually a higher dose would do the same. Is that not the case?

I hope your headaches stay away.
God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat May 18, 2019 4:30 am

Hello Deb's

I thought it was the duty of the GP to refer you to a psychiatrist but I don't know the system in Scotland.

I had a look at a Pregabalin thread on the forum I hate and it was much the same story. Success for up to 2 years on as low as 300 then a poop out. If it pooped at 450 then users either come off or up to 600. There is a guy who swears by 600 plus Mirtazapine which apparently complements it well.

Fine tuning these meds is a damn pain. I'm still basically self medicating. Had an anxiety attack but calmed down with a less than satisfactory counting massage then a cup of tea and bucket shower. Changing position often helps.

Today I was able to poop almost normally. That's after 2 days of yoga for constipation. Just 6 short exercises morning and afternoon. I find it so boring and difficult to do when anxious.

As for headaches, the You Tube head massage is keeping it at bay. These natural remedies do help, I have to try them because have no alternative. I can't diet or do proper exercise.

I hope you get your medications sorted out. I'm sure a psychiatrist review would help

Chris xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun May 19, 2019 4:40 am

Hello Aisling

What dose of Quetiapine are you on?

It is a strange but effective medication. The smaller the dose, the more sedating. I've been on 50mgs for sleep for 5 years nearly and it still works.

I was on 300mgs mornings for depression and it got me out of a very dangerous slump. The problem was side effects which you don't need to know about.

If you're on 25mg, going to 50mg should help a lot.

You're doing well

Chris xx

bluebell123

Postby bluebell123 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your post, i'm only on 25mg, fortunatley no side effects, had been tried with aripiprizole, but that had dreadful side effects. Severe migraines, daily nausea was much worse than the actual headaches though. Gp didn't pick up that it was the aripiprizole for nearly 3 weeks, just thought a had a bad tummy virus. Has left me with a permanent vision disturbance in right eye, have no vision in lower right quadrant, and if i look right over to my right side there is a flickering of the light, similar to regular migraine auras i get. I've had those for thirty years plus but fortunatley wasn't getting nausea or headaches.

Still waiting for pdoc report to arrive, usually get them Saturdays as its been a regular tuesday appointment.

Hope your day is as calm as you can make it, regards Aisling

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Chris

I think I need to change AD. My problem is the psychological dependency I have on the drug. It's what I was given all those years ago to get me out of my terrible depression. I think my depression has mutated into anxiety and without drugs I would quite possibly be depression free.

I am thinking of asking for a higher dose of pregabalin whilst altering my tablets. The best result would be a new AD and good mental health.

Btw. Shockingly I am still on 225mg of venlafaxine. I should be on a max of 150 I would say. I blame both myself and the gp for that.

I'm sorry I am using you as my health adviser at the moment.

I.bought some cannabis capsules yesterday.

God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am

Hi Deb's

I'm quite happy to be your health advisor. I've thought all along you should be on a different AD.

Venlafaxine as you know is an SNRI. It was the only one available back then. It worked for you so you should change to another SNRI. That would be duloxetine (Cymbalta) which is very good for anxiety. Be cause of the similarity of the two ADs, you do a cross taper which means taking both together to begin with, reducing venlafaxine and increasing duloxetine. None of this waiting 5 weeks for it to kick in. If all goes well you should start feeling better within days. There is a third SNRI called desvenlafaxine I know nothing about.

As for your venlafaxine dose, 225 is standard for anxiety, 300 for depression. I aim to increase to 225 when the time is right.

Are cannabis capsules legal? They sound great. Here, people get thrown into prison for the puff of a joint.

Going up to 600 on pregabalin is worth a try. I came off 150 and it wasn't so difficult. You haven't been on it that long anyway. Dont Google it. I made that mistake with Tramadol. It won't help.

God bless

Chris xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am

Hi Chris

The cannabis oil doesn't contain the chemical that has the mind altering stuff. So it can help pain, anxiety etc. But not the recreational part

Today I took my 3rd tablet. Maybe it'll help.

I am going to a family wedding this weekend. The whole thing is veryi stressful. I guess that's adding to my stress.

How are you keeping

God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 am

Hello Debs

The cannabis tablets don't sound that great if they don't have the mind altering ingredient.

Your family wedding is obviously adding to your stress. How can it not do. But thinking about it is the worst part. You might surprise yourself and end up enjoying it. Just don't put extra stress on yourself by forcing yourself to look and act cheerful. Take it as it comes and go with the moment.

God bless

Chris xx

bluebell123

Postby bluebell123 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Chris,

Finally managed to pluck up the courage to see my gp tomorrow,

Very proud of my self for doing so, also spoke to 111 option 2 tonight, a new service that puts you straight thru to a cpn and talked over my worries. When in comes to advising other people to so on forum i can do that, but when its about myself it's a different matter. Think it goes back to my childhood, basically my mother could not cope with my constant anxiety and my father's solution was to tell me to go straight to my bedroom when i came home from school and stay there until he came home from work so he could prevent me from talking to her. I always feel i may be over burdening everyone.

Thank you for your support, not sure what time of day it is with you, hope you are holding up and getting enough sleep.

Regards Aisling.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”