Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How are things progressing Isap

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
deb1960

Re: How are things progressing Isap

Postby deb1960 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Chris

I've heard of these family interventions. There's a film called Apostasy which I intend to buy. It's based on reality although the gut fortunately came from a family where the Dad wasn't a JW.

I hope your migraine has cleared now.

My anxiety is bad just now. Over the last couple of years I've been getting worse. The last two Summers I was great. Here I am on pregabalin and struggling. The last few weeks have been difficult after a long spell of more or less ok mood.

I hope your meditation is going well.

God bless
Debs xx

caro

Postby caro » Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi Chris

I am interested in the meditation. I have never been able to do it.
Not sure if it's because of my severe anxiety, or the autism.
I've tried relaxation, but i can't keep focused on the support worker.
My mind races, and won't concentrate.

Hope the migraine is better now. Do you get them often?

I hope you have had a relatively ok day xx

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Hello Chris, hope you don't mind me posting to you on this thread, very aware your situation is a whole different ball game from the rest of us, just wanted to wish you well, regards Aisling.

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am

Hello Deb's, Caro, Aisling

Wow, three replies! I really really appreciate them. You are three wonderful people. I'm not really up to writing today but intend to reply to you individually tomorrow or the day after.

Many thanks for thinking of me.

Chris xxx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 am

Hello Debs

Sorry to hear about the anxiety. I hope you don't mind me mentioning a couple of points about your medications.

I was on venlafaxine for 7 almost idyllic years, it pooped out probably because I was drinking a lot. My cross taper to Cymbalta couldn't have gone smoother and it started working straight away. You have been on venlafaxine. a very long time and there's a fair chance it is no longer working as your GP said to you.I know the thought of changing medication fills you with dread and more anxiety, but it still remains an option.

As for pregabalin, it is renowned for working a while then pooping out which is why so many people end up on the maximum dose of 600mgs which works for a lot of users. You still have scope for increase.

I got rid of a headache yesterday using head massage from You Tube then a 15 minute healing meditation. I don't understand where these headaches are coming from.

God bless

Isap xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri May 17, 2019 3:43 am

Hello Caro

Thanks for your kind message. I know how hard it is to write even a short post when not feeling well.

Meditation is very hard to do when anxiety levels are high. I can't do those relaxation exercises after. You could try just a 5 minute meditation counting 5 breathing in slowly and 10 breathing out slowly. There are some links to free meditations somewhere on this forum but I won't burden you with them unless you ask.

I don't know where these migraines are coming from, it's a relatively new thing for me.

Take care yourself

Chris xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri May 17, 2019 3:47 am

Hello Aisling

I'm delighted you posted here. Any time is ok. I wish you all the best too.

I read about your GP taking you off the mental health team. You must have appeared too upbeat and jolly. As the next poster said, you need to exaggerate your symptoms even to ensure you get the care you need and deserve.

Chris xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri May 17, 2019 4:57 am

This is just a general point about meditation, and why we need to do it every day.

The goal of CBT and other therapies is to change your way of thinking. Has this worked? I bet it hasn't.

The goal of meditation is to live with your thoughts, however negative. It sounds over simplistic but that's how my Buddhist friend studying Zen described it to me.

Start doing just 5 minutes. 10 - 15 is enough, 20 when you have the energy.

Hope this helps.

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Chris, thank you for your rely. I can't fathom out why my pychiatrist said he would not be seeing him me again since i was breaking down in tears twice during the consultation, which i have never done before and told him that there had been an increase in my fantasies involving suicide and self harm which i revert to in times of stress, maybe its because i told him at this time i do not intend carrying out those fantasies, nevertheless they occupy many hours of the day. Also he ended the consultation before i could talk about intrusive thoughts and hearing things. I am waiting for his report, they usually arrive on a Saturday then i'm booking a gp appointment. Sams are brilliant and coming on here and being reminded i am not alone helps alot. Thinking of you, take care of yourself, Aisling

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri May 17, 2019 10:54 am

Hello Aisling

Saying you do not intend to carry out those fantasies is no doubt what did it. Did you actually use the word "fantasy"? I only ask because the word fantasy implies enjoyment of some sort. A better word to use in future would be, as you yourself said, "intrusive thoughts" or even "waking nightmares". When you see the GP, tell them in no uncertain terms that you need help from the mental health team. If it helps, write it all down so you don't forget anything, or even in the form of a letter to save time and not get cut off short.

You're doing the best you can

Chris xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”